Mugging: Silvermine, 18 June 2017

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
MargheritaIntrona

Mugging: Silvermine, 18 June 2017

Post by MargheritaIntrona » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello fellow mountain lovers…

Just a heads up... I was mugged in Silvermine yesterday, Sunday 18 June at around 1:30pm on the trail between Elephants Eye and the Sentinel Viewpoint. The trail was busy with many other people about. As I turned to head back I was suddenly surrounded by 3 men who came out of nowhere. They demanded I give them my bag. They were armed with a very large knife and so I dropped my bag and ran away. The only thing of “value” was my iPhone, which was locked and so useless to them.

I caught up with a couple that were ahead of me and they told me that they had also been mugged. The lady was wearing her engagement ring and both were wearing their wedding bands. They were an older couple and had never removed the wedding rings for nearly 50 years. The lady told me she was struggling to get her ring off and the muggers threatened to cut off her finger if she did not get it off. Luckily she did! They also took their phones and wallets, but did not want anything else in their bags.

I have been walking this path every week for nearly a year and this is the first time I have come across any issues. Strangely enough it was the first time I have ever seen rangers in this area as well. I had passed them as I was hiking up the trail. After speaking with the other couple who were also mugged, I then ran about a kilometer to the rangers and signaled for help. They radioed various other ranger teams to hopefully catch them as they had headed over the mountain to the Hout Bay side. Unfortunately it seems they were unsuccessful in catching them.

I went to the Hout Bay Police Station this morning to report the case. As I have an iPhone with the ‘find my iPhone” feature activated, I was able to show the officers on my laptop where the phone was. Two cops were eager to go see if we could “nail the bastards” as one put it. I was able to track my phone and the cops managed to find it. Unfortunately the cops were unable to track down the guys who mugged me as they tossed the phone and disappeared as soon as they saw the cops.

I am not concerned with any “valuables” that were taken. These can be replaced. I am just heartbroken that yet another piece of freedom that has been stolen…

Stay safe out there!

Taddersandbadger

Re: Mugging: Silvermine, 18 June 2017

Post by Taddersandbadger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for the warning, glad you are ok. What a harrowing thing to go through. As you say they took more than just a phone......
Paul

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for the report! Glad to hear that no one was hurt!

I have whole bag of mixed feelings on how mountain crime should be (could have been) combated. Even with rangers in the area, the guys are able to operate (and escape).
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 am

I am dismayed to hear yet again of another attack. Very glad that you are physically unharmed, M. But yes, something very valuable indeed was taken, and we share that loss with you.

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am

Please everyone download "Namola" app even though you are not Gauteng. When all the stakeholders buy into this it is on the right track to something along the lines of a response that will be quick enough to be useful. Check out the Carte Blanche episode for more info

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:26 am

Thanks Dragon.

Here is an article on the Namola App --> http://www.criticalhit.net/technology/d ... ne-police/

Here is the Carte Blanche report --> https://carteblanche.dstv.com/namola/

Download the App here --> http://namola.com/
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am

I just watched the Carte Blanche episode (always nice to watch a happy episode of Carte Blanche!).

I see the app working very well where vehicles can be used, however it will take time for support/help to come to people in more remote/mountainous areas. That said I heard a rumour that SANParks may start using their own drones to fight crime.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:52 am

Agreed things are much more challenging in the mountains, but all the more reason to get an accurate plot and broadcast for help sent out immediately and widely. If the Rangers bought in they could respond on foot, the police helicopter that happened to be flying over the suburb below, could divert and be there in less than a minute. The police on Houtbay side could be waiting in ambush for the suspects to come down off the mountain etc etc. With development, other nearby mountain users could be alerted and at the very least supply visual assistance or first aid.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 am

the namola app is a good idea but not of much use to make the mountains safer imho, but may help to catch the perpetrators.
what would be useful is a system similar to the farming community-police service where there is a system that connects people in an area. an app or device that will alert other users within a certain radius from you will give the best opportunity for quick response - not sure if there's anything like that out there (will be useful for more than muggings btw; also for medical emergencies, people getting lost etc.)
other than that: stay alert, move in groups and do not give the mountains to these f%*&#@s.

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm

If we had "community user rights" on Namola, we would effectively have exactly as you have described the farm style system. It is not the current setup on Namola, but like I said this is something that is on the right track to a solution for us. Perhaps one of these farm systems is a better starting point for development, I don't know? I do know that Namola has most of what we need and just needs tweaking. Importantly it has police buy in. The bottom line is that any of these gps based networking realtime apps will give us the strength in numbers advantage, with speed and coordination. Together we stand a chance

emile

Post by emile » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm

We have a community policing forum going in Centurion using Zello - works pretty damn good. The police quite simply take too long: the community members are always first on the scene (usually only a few minutes) with some impressive team work.

Take look at concernedcitizens.co.za

MargheritaIntrona

Post by MargheritaIntrona » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:43 am

Hi All

Just an update...

I received a call from SANParks this morning to follow up with me regarding this incident last weekend. He tells me there was apparently another incident again this weekend. All indications appear that it was the same guys.

I gave the guy an earful. Hope it helps!

Take note and stay safe!

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Sorry to hear about all of this, one little point if I may: We all get caught up with these sort of things-and quite rightly so- but remember this is a single gang of people mugging in the area, rather than many opportune criminals, and this is actually a good thing as it means once they are caught things should return to normal. I agree that this is a hard mental shift, but we must remain positive and supportive about all of this. One gang of thieves is easily defeatable with the right policing and community support.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:56 am

I think the old saying of "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile" comes in here.
They may just be 3 now but I'm sure their friends already know about it and now know that they can get away with it.

Unless some real decisive action is taken to stop this, it will never stop. Unless they fear entering the park for nefarious Deeds, they won't stop entering the park.

Need to set a bit of a trap and f**k these a holes up and send them home to tell the bloody tales about it.

bad

Post by bad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 am

Hi
I am writing to inform everyone that reads this amazing website about my mugging incident. I was mugged last Saturday quite near my house in the lower TMNP reserve just above Molteno Road in Oranjezicht. I decided to walk off from the Lower Buttresses after watching a friend and 2 others climb Fraser's, it was his first lead on the route. It was very cold and a storm was expected so I refrained from climbing it as I have climbed the route countless times.
I walked down the fire access roads from the Lower Cable Station (LCS). I know the roads so well and was just on the last concrete section which starts as a short corner when 2 big, fast moving blokes made their first move. I heard them coming due to the noise they made and I started sprinting immediately then looked at them through the trees . I managed to push past them but they caught up to me and grabbed me by my backpack. I didn't stop running as I handed over my cellphone and wriggled out of my backpack. I had all my keys and my cards stashed on me.
My loss is extensive (old Osprey Mutant backpack, old harness, new helmet, old rock shoes & various biners, rain gear and down jacket & some other odds & sods but I lost my irreplaceable stunning bright blue OMM rain jacket )
I went back immediately with a friend and some other people and their dog. We searched the area and found their lair littered with rubbish as well as an intricate network of paths above the houses and Glencoe Quarry. These paths are in some places almost leopard crawl kinda paths, mostly very overgrown and difficult to follow. There is definitely a link between Kloof Nek to Deer Park Drive.

I realise my mistake as i could have 1) stayed with the group or 2) should have walked another way especially seeing as I knew of another recent mugging in the area. On reflection I feel they were in an excellent position to watch me from the protruding corner as I walked down the road towards them.
They are possibly the same muggers that move around. After speaking to SANParks Rangers on Sunday we discussed the many recent incidents in Silvermine, Signal Hill and my area. I assisted the Rangers in a small joint operation we monitored from the LCS after I spotted a fire in the exact location these muggers would have been waiting. They sent 2 teams of 2 in to search and they apprehended one "vagrant". It's amazing what one can see from an elevated position with good binoculars.
Stay safe out there guys
You are only as good as your last piece

DeondV

Post by DeondV » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Dragon wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:52 am
Agreed things are much more challenging in the mountains, but all the more reason to get an accurate plot and broadcast for help sent out immediately and widely. If the Rangers bought in they could respond on foot, the police helicopter that happened to be flying over the suburb below, could divert and be there in less than a minute. The police on Houtbay side could be waiting in ambush for the suspects to come down off the mountain etc etc. With development, other nearby mountain users could be alerted and at the very least supply visual assistance or first aid.
Hi all. It's just by chance that I stumbled across this thread - a bit late but I'm glad I did. The post I've quoted here describes the idea behind the system we currently have in place in Tokai.

Since Tokai reopened after the fire in 2015 (weekends), TokaiMTB have been working with SANParks to help keep users safe. It's a long story but I actually witnessed both muggings that day and while not able to do anything to prevent the incident from my location above Silvermine at the Tokai Mast, I was fortunately able to coordinate the response based on what I had observed. Our teams are equipped with binoculars and PTT radios that are patched into a control room monitoring our movements and comms.

I'm posting this just to let you know that the system described in the quote by Dragon above works. We've had a few months to trial and develop the system for a proof-of-concept to take to the public and corporates for further funding. Of course we've operated for this time without much publicity for obvious reasons but have been lucky to gain the financial support from an individual to put the concept to test for several months.

I need to reiterate what has been said in this thread already and others too, that if change is the goal, it needs to start with us but it needs to move from being just a discussion. This is what we (TokaiMTB) have done and we have results and come bearing hope.

If anyone wants some more info about what we are doing or has a lead for a group or individual to offer assistance, email me at "deon at tokaimtb dot coza". We are about to start looking for partners in both funding as well as established groups in all areas to coordinate fast response times for arrests!

To the OP, MargheritaIntrona, how you handled the situation that day made all the difference, well done! I was relieved to see you drop that blue backpack as those men seemed fixed on having it. My only disappointment, apart from the whole ordeal, is that I could not do more for you at the time.. stay as strong as you are.