Bring SA climbing team home

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

Justin

Bring SA climbing team home

Post by Justin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:41 pm

So... I thought this was a joke to start off with, but apparently not! The SA climbing team are currently stuck in Austria, see below.

23 kids & 3 coaches were at Johannesburg airport to go to Youth World Climbing Chanmpionships in Innsbruck on 26 August 2017 to discover that the travel agent had defrauded us of everything. We got 1 way tickets & now need to get home. Please help!

Hello, I am Jessica, a parent of one of the boys on the team- Nico.

On the 26 August 2017, 23 excited kids and 3 coaches were at Johannesburg Airport ready to depart to Innsbruck to represent South Africa at the World Youth Climbing Competition. At the check in we found out that thee travel agent had defrauded the team of tickets and accomodation. Some parents bravely stepped forward and covered the costs to get the kids to the comp with one way tickets in the hope that this can be resolved in the meantime. After much investigation and efffort, the agent has signed an acknowledgement of debt but we are not confident of getting the funds back and most importantly, most of us cannot incur more costs. We have written proof of the agent's fraud and it is all being handled by a lawyer - also a parent of one of the kids! The kids went on emergency one way tickets - just to get to the competition.

We need ZAR 445 000/ USD 35 000 to cover the costs for the kids and coaches to bring them home. Please can you help by contributing any amount and sending this message to all your friends and family for their support as well. It is not just meaningful for those that are in the climbing world but it is about kids representing their country, about parents trying to give opportunities to talented kids, about stopping fraud and corruption and mostly it is about the kids dreams of taking part on a global stage in a sport they love not being shattered because of one persons destructive actions.

We, as parents, are to try and get the kids back home and the costs are horrific as we have already paid but now have to effectively pay again. Please can you help support our need to bring our climbing Champions and coaches home.

All monies recovered will be managed by Riaan Meintjies - a lawyer and fellow parent so it will be properly and responsibly managed.

Please accept my gratitude for your willingness to support our cause.

Thank you

Here is a link to the Fundraiser --> https://fundrazr.com/21HGxf?ref=fb_26qO ... sjzTodU8IS
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

oubaas

Re: Bring SA climbing team home

Post by oubaas » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 pm

This has to be a joke. Surely no parent is dumb enough to send their child to Austria knowing full well that there is a huge chance that they will be stranded and unable to afford the costs to get back home. Very irresponsible indeed

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 am

I have just looked at the Fund Raising FUNDRAZR campaign website. There is nothing to suggest that the campaign is legit. There is no moneys donated yet seems. Who is Jessica Rees-Jones. When clicking on her profile it comes up blank. Nobody in their right mind would donate on this basis.

Fats

Post by Fats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 am

Hi...sooo I clicked on the link and googled her name and discovered that she works for a NGO that I use to work at. After more googling, she does have 2 sons who are climbers....she happens to be the Executive Director of Inyathelo and cannot be posting fraudulent requests considering where she works. I have now emailed her and asked if the request came from her or not....
I'll revert as soon as I hear back from her

proze

Post by proze » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am

oubaas wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 pm
This has to be a joke. Surely no parent is dumb enough to send their child to Austria knowing full well that there is a huge chance that they will be stranded and unable to afford the costs to get back home. Very irresponsible indeed
This. These GoFundMe, etc, etc pages are getting out of hand. Now you get to do incredibly stupid stuff and just ask for a handout afterwards? Nope.

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:48 am

If you don't ask you don't get.

There is also and official call for financials assistance for Sierra Leone on SAFM.

1000 people dead.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 41558.html

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... encyappeal

https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/he ... s-10913636

And so it goes. There is need everywhere.

People can and should donate according to their conscience. Dissing and criticizing is not constructive I don't think. If I think about it without knowing the details it is clear that the travel preparations lacked oversight etc etc.

I do not agree that the South Africa public should be called upon to fund disasters in other countries when about half our population live in disastrous situations here. I think though that our government can decide to contribute on our behalf as they have done as being party of the African community.

Last year both Margaret and Duncan got AMS walking to Everest Base Camp and it cost me R66000.00 to rent a chopper to fly them out. My insurance paid only R11k. One could argue that going to altitude at great expense in the first place is dumb. And not to be properly insured even dumber.

But to repeat, so it goes. And parents just want the best for their kids...

Logic

Post by Logic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

This scenario is so completely and utterly incomprehensible, totally, thus, it cannot possibly be true.

Justin

Post by Justin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:52 am

Logical, right!

So the above did in fact happen (in some round about way - I don't know details). The team are all home, except for a couple that choose to stay longer.

Now I'm mostly impressed that they managed to get out of the country (and into Europe) without return tickets 8)

I hope they get their money back!
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Logic

Post by Logic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Logical?, clearly not.

henkg

Post by henkg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Credibility crushed :?
You may still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not. Cat Stevens

Fats

Post by Fats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Yeah...reply received:

'Hello Fatima
Yes it is me and no not a hoax. I wish it was but is really an awful mess.

Jessica Rees-Jones
Executive Director'

Colette - the Manageress who joined them said that they are all back safely - via reliable source

BrettN

Post by BrettN » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:44 pm

The SA Youth climbing team was indeed caught up in this unpleasant situation at O R Tambo airport. Parents and the SANCF Secretary worked tirelessly to ensure that the climbers got safely to Innsbruck to compete, with minimum disruption. Accommodation issues and return tickets were sorted out promptly, and we can confirm that our young athletes are all safely back in SA after the very successful IFSC Youth World Champs.

The parents have had to find additional funds in order to resolve the problems faced, and many of them are out of pocket - hence this crowdfunding effort, which is ligitimate. Details on the crowd funding site will need to be updated so that everyone has the most up-to-date information on this situation - as well as details on what will happen to the funds donated should money be successfully recovered from the travel agent. I'm sure parents would be very grateful for the assistance from anyone who is inclined to donate.

oubaas

Post by oubaas » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Which Travel Agent was responsible for this fiasco? Was a reputable agency used? Perhaps it might be a good idea to name and shame the agency