Ian Slatem - tributes.

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
SNORT

Ian Slatem - tributes.

Post by SNORT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Ian was a friend of mine and many of my friends dating back to Wits University Mountain Club in the latter seventies.

This thread is dedicated to his memory and I invite all who knew him to post stories, photos and anecdotes that celebrate his life. He was a true gentleman and very charming some of our female friends would say - I think.

One of his finest attributes is that his character was endowed with a "happy gene". He would smile or laugh through every conversation I ever had with him. I never saw him sad, or depressed or demotivated. He is one of the view people I know that you could not get annoyed with. His enthusiasm for everything he did in life was infectious and inspiring.

The last time I saw Ian was on my 59th Birthday, just 3 weeks ago when he made a special effort to come to a preview of the new CityROCK. He was seemingly practicing to be a Santa Claus with the new flowy white beard and mane of white hair. Or maybe he was trying to compete with Richard Branson for the sage, wise adventurer look. Either way he sure is very noticeable in the photo.

He was so complimentary and enthusiastic about the new endeavour and I wish I could have paid him more attention than I did. It will be hard for me to do but I intend to pay more attention to my friends and listen more. You never know when it will be the last time you may have the privilege of seeing them again.

Between us we have almost 400 years of friendship between us.
Ian Slatem.jpg
Ian Slatem.jpg (150.97 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
This photo from the late 70's represents many of his friends. I think Ian is at the back with red shirt and red rope. Even if not (does anyone know?) all knew him well.
Blouberg group photo.JPG
Blouberg group photo.JPG (210.81 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

PeterHS

Re: Ian Slatem - tributes.

Post by PeterHS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:51 pm

That’s beautiful. I hardly knew him but offer my condolences to you Snort and his other friends and family. I don’t know if anyone knows if he had a FB page, or if still open if so, but in the past I have set up FB tribute page with family agreement. This allowed all from all walks of life to pay tribute and share memories. One for a dear friend who left is far too early remains open and shared and used 5 years after her untimely death. It’s a suggestion that someone better connected might wish to consider too, in addition to here. I was abroad at the time and so sadly could not assist the amazing rescue effort. P

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:49 pm

He does have a FB page and people are posting on it.

BlueCrane

Post by BlueCrane » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:30 pm

On behalf of those of us who shared a rope with Ian: we are thinking of Ian's family; Rowena and his friends - grieving this amazing man.

I've only known Ian for 2 years and he's made a lasting impression. I met him through Anton, whose family has known him for decades.

Ian empowering others: We made our way up that fudge-coloured Bombay Duck that looked shiny and felt well-worn. This was about my 7th trad experience. I slipped on that awkward traverse. Anton and Ian just checked I was safe; smiled and then believed in my ability to recover.

Ian the caring friend: I enjoyed seeing Rowena and Ian at the gym... they shared a special sparkle in their eyes. A hint to others that dreams can come true. They were eager to make new friends, the kind that engage meaningfully - no superficial 'How are you's?' from these two; they wanted to hear more about everyone's news and well-being.

Ian the visionary: was building a new phase of his life... how would he approach his 'retirement' years? He wanted to stay fit. He shared his dreams and I remember thinking that I wished I could have the same openness about my own aspirations that I always fear might shrink once shared. He also had the kind of mindset that made you know, he would find a way to reach them.

Ian the boy at heart: when he heard that I hated hand jams, his advice sounded in line with the way kids discover the world.... 'If you see a gap anywhere: in a wall at the supermarket, between pillars... just practice jamming your hand in and experiment with what works for you!'

Ian said that after all his travelling, he realised how fortunate we are to live in Cape Town and climb some of the most beautiful routes in the world, without having to stand in long queues. RIP Ian.
Attachments
Ian2.jpg
Ian climbing
Ian2.jpg (108.99 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
Bombay2.jpg
Anton at the anchors
Bombay2.jpg (81.69 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
The traverse2.jpg
The traverse
The traverse2.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

kathlev

Post by kathlev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:48 pm

I met Ian about 15 months ago through guiding. We did a few hikes together and he guided some climbing trips for me. Over the last couple of months we started to hang out a bit more and made plans for him to teach me trad climbing on Table Mountain. We met for a coffee which turned into a dinner, and he snuck off at one point, I thought to the bathroom. Turned out he had sneakily paid for the bill. The day we were supposed to go climbing he cancelled literally last minute, as his eye after surgery was giving him trouble. We were not able to make up that climbing date. I was also supposed to buy the next dinner.

He owes me a climb, and I owe him a dinner. Even though he was 30 years older than me, it didn't feel like I was hanging out with "dad" - I was hanging out with a friend. A friend who had the most incredible stories from a full life lived. I am very sad that I will now never get to go climbing with him, nor hear anymore stories of his adventures or learn from him. To say he will be missed is an understatement.
Condolences to his son, Stefan, and his partner, Jenny, and all his friends and family. And to the families and friends of the tourists he was guiding.
I hope where ever Ian is he is continuing the adventures, sailing the high seas and charming all the ladies.

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Ian Slatem (informal) Memorial Gathering & Climb tomorrow 6 January; Table Mountain
Venue: meet on India Venster trail below Arrow Final at the lookout spot.
Time: 08:45 for 09:00 - make sure to take the first cable car up if you're not hiking.
Vibe: this is an informal gathering to pay our respect & then go climb. Please note that there will be a larger, more formal gathering next week when people return from holidays - we will post details as it become available.
If you want to bring flowers, find some fynbos pls. And no cards, pics or candles to be left at the site.
Climbing: bring your climbing bud or find a party to join at the gathering. Take own responsibility to do this pls + make sure you have what you need.
No need to RSVP.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

rusd

Post by rusd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi All,

Snort: having conferred with Tony Seebregts, I can confirm that in your 'Blouberg group photo' the guy in the red t-shirt is Ian Slatem.

Ian was a gentle giant, and will be missed.

RIP.

Regards,
Russ.

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:51 pm

IAN SLATEM

– a personal note by Petro Grobler (Magaliesberg Section)

Living in close quarters with our neighbours across the Jukskei River, it sometimes feels to me that it made no difference whether a member was from the Magaliesberg or from the Johannesburg Section – especially when it came to chairmen. So it was for me with Ian who was vice-chair and chair of Joburg Section plus MCSA ExCo member around the year 2000.

I scanned through my past emails to remind me of the issues discussed and solved (or not) in those times. These were the times when the Club still hosted the Banff Film Festival and worked their butts off for that; Castle Gorge was a never-ending drama and, of course, there was the recurrent issue of the CT Section trying to change the constitution to give them majority rule (sigh). Through it all, the clarity of Ian’s thinking and the formulation of his replies shine through. There was some bantering as well…

Our correspondence dried up with his relocation to CT but, the look in his eyes remains with me.
There is something circular for me in his request for details from me after a reference in MCSA eNews 2000/07-2 (of which I was then editor). It was about the death of Duncan Elliott, who died in an avalanche on Huascaran, and I couldn’t help much at that moment: “Thanks Petro, there doesn’t seem to be much knowledge about this rather sad affair at all.”

I submit to you, in Ian’s honour, the quote from that eNews edition:
In the mountain, stillness surges up to explore its own height; in the lake, movement stands still to contemplate its own depth. – Rabindranath Tagore

Maar die bekoring van Tafelberg is van velerlei aard. En as die wind stil is, as daar geen suidoos is om die mis teen die berg op te ja en die bergklimmers te terg nie, is daar die wye, blou lug en die see wat blink en die groot kranse teen die loom namiddag. – WA de Klerk, Berge van die Boland 1947

But the allure of Table Mountain is of a varied nature. And if the wind is still; if there is no Southeaster to chase the mist up against the mountain and to tease the mountaineers, there is the wide, blue sky and the sea that shines and the huge krantzes against the dozy afternoon. – WA de Klerk, Mountains of the Boland 1947

RIP Ian
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am