Matt Bush says - F*ck you nature, stop disrespecting me

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Ghaznavid

Re: Matt Bush says - F*ck you nature, stop disrespecting me

Post by Ghaznavid » Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Old Smelly wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:35 pm
No T Rex pics..?
I broke my camera trying to fend it off. That's the last time I visit Cretaceous Park.
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu May 31, 2018 6:25 pm

:afro:
Last edited by mokganjetsi on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:03 pm

Lets not jump to judge. Matt was just a young guy fighting for his life. This is normal.

Surely is time to throw down this fictitious idea of a climbing community.

Its anarchy in the hills.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:26 am

deleted all my posts - this internet outrage is just pointless.
marshall, agree, there's not much community but i guess somebody's got to speak up if people bolt heritage sites or mess with nesting birds.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:48 am

Of course there is a climbing community...Otherwise how could we fight off T Rexes and fireballs
Last edited by Old Smelly on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

garvinj

Post by garvinj » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am

Old Smelly is spot on, in order for us to have factions, snobbery and discrimination (trad is better than sport) there must be community. But in my self absorbed little world it's more the idea that I will be classed as someone who would do shit like that because he is my countryman. Therefore I must know him and we surely must be friends. So Yes that means I don't care what he does. I only care about how it reflects on me.

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:35 am

Hey Gaz - its not snobbery to say Trad is better than sport - it's an OPINION (and probably true...) not to mention bouldering (where is the tongue-in-cheek symbol)

What are forums for if not to have different viewpoints. Besides the Climbing Community and the Forum are in fact truly diametrically opposed - the one discusses things that may be divisive and the other is a group of people coming together over mutual interests and concerns (something I doubt any forum does)

So we all discuss our different viewpoints...and some people get flamed in the process...with huge fireballs...

The reality is probably everyone sees this mostly the same way - none of us really want to be seen as bird haters, most of us sympathise with someone being attacked by birds, some of us are not that concerned about birds on routes that are not endangered, others care about all animals and disturbing the nests BUT we all don't want to be seen internationally as being silly and deliberately picking a fight with nesting birds.

Having said that...and having had our fun...we probably all know that this was not Matts true intention and that he is a very good climber. As to his true personality- only those that know him could speak to that.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 am

Gustav wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:33 pm
You have to do a bit more than climb close to a nest to make a real impact on the nesting habits of these birds. Anybody that have done environmental work on cliffs with raptors will tell you that you need more than just a quick passing visit in order to disturb them in the long run. In the Magaliesberg we were changing chicks in-and-out of nests for the sake of science and trying to improve the survival rate ... long story but they did not budge after numerous (respectful) visits to the nest and changing chicks etc. They kept going back to the same spot year after year!
You're quite right here, but there is a significant difference between disturbing a bird for scientific research aimed at improving survival of a species through better knowledge and understanding and a self promoting climber who noticed the birds before starting to climb and then decided that his self promotion was more important than any disturbance to the birds. That really doesn't set a good example.
Happy climbing
Nic

henkg

Post by henkg » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:53 pm

True, but what do you want from this? Name and shame, get back at him for living his life in public? People are less likely to change when you criticise or judge them, nudging and personal relationships works better.

Methinks it’s what he’s written and the way he painted it that’s dof. Let’s hear how many other people has climbed Little Dutch Boy in the days prior and after the event?
You may still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not. Cat Stevens

tygereye

Post by tygereye » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 am

We did Dutch courage two weekends ago. No sign of angry birds. No sign of any nests in the hole.
Another party was on Little Dutch Boy. No birds attacked them either.

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 am

Facebook's annoying "on this day" thing is showing me a post from last year. I shared this photo with a caption "when the lighting is so perfect that it looks like photoshop". Now I'm wondering if it wasn't.
18839571_1202805336496162_6884052930356097830_o.jpg
18839571_1202805336496162_6884052930356097830_o.jpg (95.4 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Ps. I have no doubt Matt Bush is doing what he claims to do, just annoyed if he's posting fake shots. I have a lot of respect for him and what he has done at the crags.
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Am I missing something... he photoshopped a couple birds to give an idea of what it felt like. Not like he photoshopped the climb or himself. What's the big deal here?

ColinCrab

Post by ColinCrab » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:13 am

@stu

Two words - "Herd Mentality" - "Herd mentality and mob mentality, also lesser known as gang mentality, describes how people can be influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors on a largely emotional, rather than rational, basis."

garvinj

Post by garvinj » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:07 am

Just checking. Does that mean because one aligns oneself with the previous post you are in that gang?

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:18 am

Nah I think it is a valid question...sorry Colin the Crab...once you know someone has fiddled one picture...I would also look critically at any others...

That is logical and certainly not a HERD mentality...it is called critical analysis...

So no - not unfair--just a logical outcome to look at every picture and see if the shadows and lighting, edges matching etc. tell a different story
Last edited by Old Smelly on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

garvinj

Post by garvinj » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 am

Damn you Old smelly, I was already working on a gang sign and name. I was thinking like "left field cyber bangers" You know I need the affirmation that only being in a gang can bring. :(

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 am

Oops, Sorry...I think the gang sign and name would be really cool...I thought "Herd Mentality" was the name...but yours is cool too...

wildx

Post by wildx » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I love eagles...
Attachments
j.jpg
;P
j.jpg (105 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm

And so it starts...

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Did anyone else note the irony of Crab's - going along with the previous post and referring to the rest as herd mentality :lol:

Jokes aside, though - I am guessing everyone throwing their 2c worth in here has the ability to think for themselves. That's exactly why multiple angles of the arguement are presented in this debate. While herd mentality is a thing - especially in politics - agreeing with someone else doesn't make you a blind follower. E.g. I'd guess basically everyone on this site believes climbing in some shape or form is awesome, does that make this a forum of sheep?

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:49 am

Nah it makes us all Awesome!

I always have the arrogance to believe that most climbers are analytical critical thinkers...maybe not everyone, but quite a lot...otherwise why would they do something that is a challenge to figure out and do.

On the other hand maybe perpetuating this Thread is not good for Matt and in a way all SA climbers. I am sure the lesson has been noted and we all have learnt something about web visibility...me to stay anonymous :-)