It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:58 pm 
Hey Guy's! Went to Elandskraans for the easter weekend (just to get out of the city for a couple of day's) & i've come back with this itch to start climbing! Just standing there looking at the people climbing was driving me nuts! So where is a good \"gym\" with people willing to help a total noob in PTA? I'm not intrested in Tuks's Wall At LC de Villiers since i've been there 6times & still haven't been able to get to the wall, because of all the people! I know there is also a gym in i think it's the sancardia centre, but they have limited membership due to space restriction & when i was there last year they where full! I heard at Elandskrans that there is a place out on Linwood Road (Past Hans Strydom) called \"The Barn\" if i remember correctly but for the life of me i can't find this place! Yesterday i drove up every road i could find in that area looking for it to no availe! Please any help will be greatly apreciated!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:59 pm 
Check out their site http://www.sazone.biz/thebarn. You should be able to find the details there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:59 pm 
Hi, Me and my dad would like to do a climbing trip together (spend good time together). We've never done this, but would love to! Pls help us.... Where can we go? Is there any groups that can take us on an adventure like this? Or if we must do it ourselves do you recommend a place that is easy to start? Or can we ask a guide to company us? Pls advise. Many Thanks Jacqueline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:00 pm 
Hi Jac...if you are in teh Pretoria Joburg area as well contact the guys at Urban Crag (Vic and Gav) all their information is on http://www.urbancrag.co.za. Happy climbing j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:00 pm 
If you are living in Pta the Barn is the best bet-nice atmosphere to start. Follow Lynnwood Rd past Silver Lakes. Take the Boschkop turn off.Continue until you go past a dirt road on your left you will see another one(I think) further on your left(Skyriders sign).Follow this all the way until you see another Skyriders sign.Turn in there and you will see the building. Most climbers are very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:01 pm 
Thanx danny for the site url, i'll go & have a look! J thanx for the directions, they'll definitly be seing me soon! Jacqueline! If you don't mind traveling to Mapumalaga then check out http://www.rocrope.com there situated at watervalboven (one ofthe best rock climbing spots in ZA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:01 pm 
Hi Jaqueline. If u wanna climb on rock for the first time and u in Gauteng area, head out to waterval Boven. Get hold of Rock 'n Rope, run by Gustav van Rensburg. They do climbing courses etc. Boven is amazing, you'll have a great time. Check out http://www.rocrope.com for info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:02 pm 
Directions to The Barn. Go out on Lynwood road. Over Hans Stydom. Get a turn off to the left Boschkop. 2,3km doen the road entrance to left. The last road left before a bridge in the dip. T-Junction left. You will see a two storey building (barn) on your r/h side. Sign posted The Barn (small sign)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:02 pm 
The story about first expirience in climbing is here http://www.infohub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545 Just take a look! Trere are a lot of stories!Have Funn!

Post subject: the barn
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:54 am 
Badboytazz4ever-the barn is an awesome place to go they are open 7 days a week and Paul(one of the owners) is one of the most interesting people I have ever met! The barn- if you are driving down lynnwood and your go over hans strydom go down 5.6km and turn left on boschkop (on the right you will see a place that sells tiles and pots etc)carry on down that road 2.1 odd km and there is a tiny board that says G.E du plessis on your left-go down that dirt road follow the road and keep to the left-it turns to the left after about another 2km there is a small white non descript building next to the road just after that you will see a HUGE metal/barnlike structure on your right-and bingo your there!feel free to mail me at gerlenedegenaar@yahoo.com if you need any more instructions. they open at 4pm daily till 9pm and is open most of the day on weekendsdo yourself the favor and go and find it! :P

Post subject: The barn
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:42 pm 
Howzit. If you need a climbing partner or just someone to show you how to get to the barn please feel free to give me a ring @ 082 335 0066. Alternatively you can contact Paul @ 082 335 3220 for directions. The place is a little hard to find the first time but definitely worth the effort.

Post subject: Re: The barn
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:47 pm 
To get to some real rock and get the inside info on the various crags in the area remember that MCSA Magaliesberg (Pretoria) Section has regular climbing meets (but the holiday break has started). Contact Danie van Zyl the committee member for climbing for more info (see http://mag.mcsa.org.za/contact.html). The Joburg section is also an option since both sections visit the same crags. Both sections publish their programmes on their web sites and non-members are welcome to attend.