Search and Rescue - general exclusions in medical aid

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
gwrightjhb

Search and Rescue - general exclusions in medical aid

Post by gwrightjhb » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:42 pm

I updated my medical aid and saw that search and rescue related health expenses are listed as exclusions in the policy and it appears in all policies with Discovery. How does it work in the event that I needed to call S&R? Do I fit the bill myself entirely from helicopter ride through to hospital bill?

Nic Le Maitre

Re: Search and Rescue - general exclusions in medical aid

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:06 pm

Trauma (the most likely reason for a rescue) is a prescribed minimum benefit of all medical cover, so you are covered for the treatment you receive on the mountain.

Transport from the mountain to a hospital may or may not be covered depending on your policy, but these costs are usually carried by the state and you will only pay if they can bill your insurance for it. If you are not insured, then no costs. If they don't transport you to a medical facility, no costs.

The people performing the rescues are either volunteers (so no costs there) or paid professionals working as part of their normal day job and no costs there either.
Happy climbing
Nic

DeanVDM

Post by DeanVDM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:29 pm

As Nic alluded to: The Mountain Club of SA Search and Rescue does not charge for rescue. If you are having a bad day in the mountains and are dealing with something that you cannot safely resolve yourself make the call - even if it is just to put the team on standby to give them a heads up that things are not going according to plan and that you might be requiring assistance if things continue to go South.

Since this has not been posted recently, here are the latest emergency numbers to keep handy:
MCSA Search and rescue teams v19.png
MCSA Search and rescue teams v19.png (138.26 KiB) Viewed 698 times
P.S. Many other countries have a general principle of not charging for rescue but when abroad getting travel insurance that includes the activities you undertake in the mountains is a very, very good idea.

gwrightjhb

Post by gwrightjhb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Ah cool, clears things up. Thanks for the detailed responses.