It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Climbing Gyms?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:46 pm 

Hi,

I’ve been off the climbing scene for a few years and would like to start training again. Just checked Urban Crag's web site out and they’re closing down? Can anyone tell me where there are any climbing gyms or training walls in the JHB area?

Post subject: Climbing gyms
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 am 

Hi Rocrat,

Choices of climbing gyms in Jozi is slim hey,

Theres only Kya Sands at the moment but the general consensus is that unless loose grips, bad management and dodgy top anchors is your thing you should give it a skip.

In Pretoria there is a much better gym, The Barn, facilities consist of around 450m2 of climbing wall, with both top ropes as well as lead climbing, 100m2 of bouldering, gear to hire etc etc. Only problem being that it is really in the sticks, its WAY out if you coming from Jozi.

Rather try to hook up with some other climbers and do your training on real rock, somewhere like Strubens Valley, real rock is where its at and the best form of training is to just to climb.

cheers,
mkboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:48 am 

Thanks for the info mkboy. Seems like I'm gonna have to dig out my old grips and rebuild my wall!

Do you know if \"The Wilds\" is safe to climb? Like I said, it's been a while and have heard that all the \"old spots\" are unsafe these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:01 am 

Hi Rocrat

Where is \"The Wilds\" situated? Don't think I have ever heard about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:13 am 

Rocrat,

I guess worrying about crime/safety when climbing is now a reality but its not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Strubens has had a few problems with cars getting stolen/broken into recently but no muggings etc.

There are other places now though that are unclimbable because of crime, like bavianspoort in PTA. but in general, if you use your head and go in groups etc, then its all good and people shouldnt blow the crime issues in climbing out of proportion.

Reckon it might be a real option to re-build your wall then. I know that in terms of training thats what my plan is as soon as I find the time! :D

We should all drop a line to Cityrock in CT and convince them that us Gautengers would be more than happy to patronise a JHB branch of Cityrock! not sure theres to many other options in terms of a new gym opening here in JHB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:35 am 

Sounds like a great idea mkboy!! I'm sure all us gautengers here would support a new gym, particularly with City Rock's name behind it!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 pm 

tangy wrote:
Hi Rocrat

Where is "The Wilds" situated? Don't think I have ever heard about it?

Hi Tangy,

See extract below from www.wildswalk.co.za It's in Houghton but became very unsafe to climb! There was a stabbing incident and even a serial killer in the area a few years back. It was a favourite haunt for the some of the older guys in climbing, even some of the newer ones (well not so new now :oops: .....lets say accomplished) like Marianne, Alard, Mark etc etc.

The Wilds comprises 18 ha of ground on the most northerly of several rocky ridges on which Johannesburg is built and is planted exclusively with indigenous flora. Nestled between Houghton, Killarney and Parktown, The Wilds is within easy walking distance from the most densely populated area of Johannesburg, namely, the Yeoville, Berea and Hillbrow complex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:03 pm 

Hey RocRat, there are still a good couple of people who fequent The Wilds on a fairly regular basis, normally Tuesdays & Thursdays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 am 

MarkM wrote:
Hey RocRat, there are still a good couple of people who fequent The Wilds on a fairly regular basis, normally Tuesdays & Thursdays.

Hi Mark,

That's great to hear! What time do most people get there on Tuesday & Thursday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:24 am 

Things normally get underway after normal working hours so from 16:30 - 17:00 onwards. Not sure how many people will be out and about at the moment due to many being away for the festive season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:58 am 

MarkM wrote:
Things normally get underway after normal working hours so from 16:30 - 17:00 onwards. Not sure how many people will be out and about at the moment due to many being away for the festive season.

No worries, was only going to start in Jan. Where do you guys park? at the parking lot at the pedestrian bridge or the lot closer to the M1 on-ramp?

Thanks for all the info, it's much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:53 am 

I normally park in and around the appartment blocks in Killarney and then just walk there. A couple of the blocks have a security gaurd watching the street. The walk is no more than 5 mins from the car.

I normally park in 9th street. To get there take the Joe Slovo off ramp, at the 1st set of lights turn right into Newton then first left into 8th. Drive up 8th to where in doglegs and becomes 9th. I'm yet to have problems there (touch wood).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:26 am 

MarkM wrote:
I normally park in and around the appartment blocks in Killarney and then just walk there. A couple of the blocks have a security gaurd watching the street. The walk is no more than 5 mins from the car.

I normally park in 9th street. To get there take the Joe Slovo off ramp, at the 1st set of lights turn right into Newton then first left into 8th. Drive up 8th to where in doglegs and becomes 9th. I'm yet to have problems there (touch wood).

Thanks! I'll see you there sometime!