It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Blister bush
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:44 pm 

Hi guys, got nailed on the ankle by a Blister Bush on Table Mountain 4 days ago. The resultant rash is getting worse. Any ideas what to treat this with? Not bad enough to worry about visiting a doc yet, but it would be great to get rid of this before I have to put boots on again.
Also, I would prefer to avoid future contact with the bloody stuff, any idea what it looks like?
Any help would be appreciated…

Post subject: Eina!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:24 am 

What a pain! I had a huge blister last year right in the middle of my forehead! Kids were scared of me and my friends thought I had leprosy or worse. It didn't bother me as much because I couldn't see it! Prevention is better than cure - the bushes have leaves that look like celery, and yellow flowers that look a bit like pincushions. If you do go through one, cover up with sunblock and clothing. The blister comes out a day or two later. Once it's there, there's not much to do about it though. It'll stick around for a couple of weeks, then peel off. Sorry. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:30 am 

Has anybody managed to get some of this wonderful herb into his or her eyes? Except me, that is.
I have been suffering a red, burning and weeping eye for more than a week and it has not been getting any better.

Shall we all carry a panga and some plant poison from now on….

Post subject: Blister bush poison
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:34 am 

I have sent an e-mail reply to Justin as the website spam filter does not like something in my text which I am unable to spot.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:47 am 

Posted on behalf of Mike Scott:

I see some poor sou l has got blisters from Bubon Galbanum, the wild celery bush.
The active poison is Coumarin, used normally as an anti coagulant in Warfarin the Rat poison, but it has a photo-toxic form when it gets onto the skin and is activated by UV. The reaction is a severe response from the immune system hence the huge serious blisters which should not be broken.
Some mild alkali or anti histamine seems to help, but the asker may want to check the Internet to see if better info there to help.
Regards,
Mike

Photo: Mike Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:45 pm 

Thanks guys.
Sorry to hear about the forehead and the eye....ouch!
I'll try some Bicarb. In the mean time a pharmacist suggested using \"Burn Shield\", it stops the burning and irritation.
Interesting that this stuff reacts to UV... Thanks Mike will look out for this stuff and give it plenty of room in future, otherwise the panga sounds like a good alternative.