Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:06 pm 

Hi all,

My name is Kevin a 22yr old Canadian and im here in cape town until the 26th of January. I've done a fair amount of climbing in Vancouver BC, Canada, I brought my basic climbing kit with me(harness, shoes, chalk, belay device) and would love to do some climbing while im in capetown. Not quite sure how to get in touch with the local climbing community, so i figured this was a good place to start. I figure if Canadian climbers are as accomodating and welcoming to travelling climbers and adventure athletes as they are, South Africans would be even more so seeing as how they're even nicer than Canadians.

I was hoping that possibly someone could steer me in the right direction to find some local climbers that would be willing to take a foreigner climbing. I'm not an amazingly tallented climber but I'm fairly experienced but unfortunately have just minorly sprained my right wrist and ankle, I'd say my skill level has now probably sunk to about about an average 18-20. I should be good to climb by about wednesday next week though, hopefully. For the most part I boulder but are fully willing to do some trad or sport trailing/cleaning climbing, not to comfotable leading a trad or sport route nor did i bring a rack. Some top roping would even be fine. I just want to make sure i get some climbing in here in cpt as im sure there are some amazing routes and rock i've never had the pleasure of experiencing.

I was going to go to city rock this evening to just \"hang out\" excuse the pun, and see if i can hook up with some climbers that would be willing to show a canadian some real SA rock. Difficult being a single traveller and not knowing any climbers u know? I'll have to wait until next week though seeing as how i now need to rehab these silly injuries, so i can get climbing.

Well I hope this message makes sense and it is'nt to forward or arrogant . Just not sure exactly how to get in touch with some locals. I dont expect people to simply accomodate me and bend over backwards so I can have some fun, but it's worth a try to get steered in the right direction. I only mean respect and good intentions to this great country, it's people and it's climbers. Thank you for your time, i look forward to some positive feedback.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:25 pm 

Ask around at David's (Mountain Mail Order) place , City Rock and try to climb at Paarl Rock and Montague .

Post subject: climbing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:02 am 

Hi Kevin

I am a South African living in Toronto for the last 2 years , I have just joined the ACC . If you are looking for some climbers a good place to start is the Mountain Club of South Africa . http://cap.mcsa.org.za/ .

They generally have meetings and climbing days . My good friend lives in Jo'burg so I don't think he'll be much help if , unless you are planning a trip there .

Cheers

Ghomf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 am 

No sorry man you'll have to get by on your own. South Africans hate foreigners and that was the most forward and arrogant post I've ever read! Who do you think you are?!?!

Hehe, no dude just joking. I dont think you can possibly come accross any more humble than that. CityRock is a good place to find people to climb with. You can maybe tell them at the reception there that you're looking for climbing partners, maybe they'll be able to hook you up right away, there are always people looking for partners.

If you dont have any luck there, definitely try the MCSA, they'll should be able to help you.

Hopefully someone on this forum who's in the Cape Town Region will also be able to hook you up

Good Luck!

Post subject: Canadian Climbers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:55 pm 

Chris, originally from Toronto is hanging out in 'Boven at the moment and looking for climbers when he is not getting friendly with the locals or cooking in their SPAM! :lol:

Check out http://climbsouthafrica.blogspot.com/

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:08 pm 

Hey guys

cool cool, thanx for all the responses! definately appreciated. My ankle and wrist sprains are taking a slight bit longer than anticipated to come right, but i suspect i should be good to do a little climbing sometime soon.
Thanx again fo the advise, ill let you know how it goes.

Kevin