Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:54 pm 

On several trips to the cape to remote crags like Milner, Rocklands and also observing visiting cape climbers in Boven I have noticed many of the climbers like to let out really stupid ape like screams when they fail/succeed. Firstly this is a really sad thing to do, kind of embarrassing. Also it must impact on the environment (nesting birds etc). And it can't do access any good, imagine if a hiker or a farmer heard, pretty weird. If I were a farmer or a cape nature dude I'd shut the place down if I heard that crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm 

Sounds really bad, we should consult the MCSA on this one! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:34 pm 

Maybe this is why the Cape climbers are so strong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:34 am 

Why do Gauteng climbers moan so much?
Aah yes I remember, its because you live in Gauteng.
Also when you climb up there you have to be silent, otherwise you attract the local wildlife - muggers, rapists, ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:11 pm 

Guess you have not been reading the news about Table Mountain recently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:05 am 

Quote:
Why do Gauteng climbers moan so much?
Aah yes I remember, its because you live in Gauteng.
Also when you climb up there you have to be silent, otherwise you attract the local wildlife - muggers, rapists, ect.

someone has a chip on his shoulder! Get real man, crime is everywhere. We maybe have a little more than you 'cos we have something here in Gauteng that you don't - JOBS!!!

I agree with cardinal_guntz, the crime state in the Cape is pretty rife actually, and just as malicious. In fact, in Gauteng we're maybe even better prepared for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:22 am 

Blah blah blah, Guest. You allways have some bullsh*t remark up your sleeve. Gauteng sucks and you know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:48 am 

Yeah..I'll rather climb too somewhere in the WC than in Gauteng . The girls at the WC crags are just much more pretty.

Post subject: baboob
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:03 am 

he andrew dude have you ever noticed how hard baboons bark? it doesn't seem to bother anyone or the wildlife! Ok ok, i agree stupid screaming is not kewl but hey, sometimes it feels good to let out a victory roar. in dear uncle walt whitman's words: i sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world. yeah!

ps: there were a whole bunch of stunning girls at bronkies this weekend. and good climbing. and no muggers. only a large bergadder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:28 pm 

Screamers are people too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:17 am 

The only people that get mugged on table mountain are tourists with brand new cam corders and digital cameras slung over each shoulder.
I've been hiking and bouldering around on my own plenty and never had a problem.

Guest, I have a job, a nice job. When I look out my window as I type this I can see the mountain. On my way home from work today I am going for a boulder. Last weekend I walked from my house and did a rad 4 pitch trad route up Elsies Peak.
But hey, Gauteng rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:01 am 

Yeah ! Gauteng rocks in crime & illegal immigrants .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:11 am 

Had to mention the mountain - didn't you!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:24 am 

cardinal_guntz wrote:
Had to mention the mountain - didn't you!

Like, fully, bru'!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:20 pm 

Quote:
Gauteng sucks and you know it.

It's cool Jeanpant. We don't want you here anyway. Us Joburgers love our city and we view your town as our holiday town...so, hate away brother, but we'll still flood your city with all our money every year and buy your overpriced food and accomodation, bad attitudes and shoddy service...and yes, all that for piece of 'your' mountain. Thing is, there is more to life than a mountain, and thats why we love it here.

Rastaman, you know you're wrong in saying:

Quote:
The only people that get mugged on table mountain are tourists with brand new cam corders and digital cameras slung over each shoulder.
I've been hiking and bouldering around on my own plenty and never had a problem.

I know of many hikers and climbers who've been mugged in the Cape hills. Some even walk around with size 10 hexes as protection. I know of cars that get stolen or broken into at your crags too. It's just the law of numbers. I wouldnt get complacent or think that a mugger is going to exclude you from his hit list. They dont care who you are.

Quote:
But hey, Gauteng rocks!

Yep, you are right! it does. You should know, being an ex-Gautengeleng!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:20 pm 

Uhh... You don't want us there? We just use JHB to make money and then come back to Cape Town to spend it here in style. Don't worry, i doubt any Capetonian will hang around that hole for too long. You can have it all to yourself.

As far as your comments on our service,attitude accomodation etc goes. Maybe you should take it up with 1 of the millions of tourists that will be visiting Cape Town this year and see how far you argument flies.

They will laugh at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:18 pm 

Josi - sigh, Magaliesberg rock - some of the oldest in the world...

a good mix of sport and trad in easy access...(you don't have all the rock CT)

Soon the biggest theatre in the Southern Hemisphere...

The biggest Buddhist temple in the Southern Hemisphere...

2.5 hours from Boven...

A real airport...

The first-class African city of hope and dreams and melting pot of African cultures(hence all the immigrants)...

Newtown - going out at night to the base of the city skyline, over the Nelson Mandela Bridge...And no I haven't been mugged.

Hey, I love Cape Town too, but this Josi girl likes the grit n sparkles round here.

So - do we all (Josi vs CT vs rest of SA) climb for the same/similar reasons or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:17 pm 

Megawat is correct. We also have Swinburne, Harrismith, the Drakensburg...we're close to Natal as well. We have a brilliant new bouldering area that is said to be very similar to Rocklands near to Golden Gate. We have Blouberg, we have Wolkberg, Wellington's dome, Bronkies and quite a few good spots closer to home.

We have brilliant weather here in the highveld, good winters with milder summers and very little wind. Johannesburg is packed with great restaurants, malls and great clubs all over. There is a very good, cosmopolitan vibe here. The people are very different to those in Cape town. There are good businesses here, plenty of growth and money which is why the stock market and banks are based here as well as all the head offices for any major corp. Seeing that the whole city bowl fits into the lower half of Sandton, the scale of Johannesburg leaves much room for movement and growth.

The list could go on. It's not even worth comparing the two. I guess it's just a case of what you want. Hey, if you love the Cape then thats cool. Nobody said you shouldnt, but there has always been this vibe that Capetonians give off to us from Gauteng. I have been harassed on the roads when I drive there because of my GP plates etc...and frankly, it's bullsh*t. We're all in the same boat here, driving the same economy forward and it just makes me tired to hear people carrying on with negative things about the place which I have invested my time and money in.

but, whatever, I'm sure I'll get flamed now by someone...as usual. I dont really care.

You have your Cape Town and I'll have my Joburg!!

Last edited by guest on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:08 am 

I think there is postive and negative in everything in life.
As an example.
This whole topic about which city is better is a load of bullshit.
But the bright side is that it brought out a sensible response out of guest for a change. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:16 am 

I found some bolts on tiny bit of granite in Piketberg. How does the West Coast rate? :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:27 am 

guest wrote:

We have brilliant weather here in the highveld, good winters with milder summers and very little wind.....

Agreed!! Highveld winter climbing is the berries! Brilliant friction, crisp air, minimal sweat, cool but dry sunny skies. There's nothing quite like that first deep gulp of lung burning chill to get you going on those mid-winter mornings in the Magaliesberg.

Must admit, there are many things I miss about living in Gauteng but, for being able to walk out my back door and hit a four pitch trad route with ocean views, I think I'll stay put in Jou Ma se City!

Plus, being able to work a full day, get stuck in rush hour traffic for an hour, get home to water the garden and put a load of washing on, and still have at least two hours of sunlight left to muck about in the mountains in summer, is a big bonus.

Every place has it's pro's and con's. It's a beautiful country.....if I had the balls, and liquid cash, to quit work I'd spend my days travelling and climbing all over - winter in the highveld, summer in the cape, and everywhere else in between.