Quantcast
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:43 pm 
Hi, I heard somewhere that there is a make of climbing shoes for woman with smaller heals and lower ankels. Does anyone have more info on this, or perhaps someone at least know of shoes that is slightly more streamline. I have a pair of Bufo sharks, they are realy great but do not give my entire foot good support.
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:51 pm 
sportiva mythos has a ladies cut and I think montrails as well. 5.10 too but you'll need to get from Capetown as they're sold there.

Bufo sharks are entry level board lasted shoes which means they are made more for comfort and less for actual technical support. Better as a trad type day shoe than anything where you need sensitivity.

Look at a sliplasted shoe which conforms to your foot. I would worry less about the 'female' sized shoe and go for a good technical shoe like the sportiva miura, or the 5.10 anasazi. Plenty of women I know climb in these shoes and they are fine. Don't get the mythos unless you are wanting a shoe that's just for really comfy, sensitive friction type climbing. The last is not twisted like the miura which when you pressure the toe the shoe tightens around the foot.

best advice is to go to a decent shop that has stock of many brands and just try them on, all of them. Then you'll find the one for you. Tight is good, not too tight, but remember that technical shoes need to be snug to work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:58 pm 

I use the Montrail Splitters. I also have an old pair of La Sportiva Mythos, which are very comfy. But yes, they are more comfy than efficient. I love the Splitters. They are a ladies fit and really cool to climb in - they give my feet great support. :D Find a shop which stocks them and try them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:47 am 
My girlfriend wears a size 3 shoe, so it was difficult to find a small comfy shoe for her. Luckily we tried out La Sportiva Mythos which apparently fits like a glove, and contrary to the above is an INCREDIBLY capable and agile climbing shoe...

Most likely your best bet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:33 am 
\"Guest\" above offers some real good advice. If they fit and feel good then those are the shoes for you. People have differently shaped feet irrespective of the size so it's quite impossible to say that a certain model is better than another without trying both of them on. Good news re. the Anastazis is that you no longer have to go down to Cape Town to try 5.10 products - they are now sold at the same prices here in Gauteng. Give us a shout on 084 780 3114 or rockfrog@resoles.za.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:27 am 
Cityrock is also stocking the Evolv shoes and have two womans models that got excellent reviews in both Rock & Ice and Climbing magazine

Post subject: clarify
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:02 pm 
Um, Noo, sorry, but the mythos is not on the same level as the anasazi or miura. It's an old design. I have a pair of both and I'll use the mythos for easy climbing and trad. The miura is a serious edging shoe with real power on the toe. The force is centralised over the big toe. the mythos will not maximise the force in the toe box. Dont get me wrong tho, climbing hard routes is largely about the climber wearing the shoes as at one point the mythos was THE technical shoe. But, dont be fooled, try a pair of testerosa's and you'll fell the difference in an istant. you can stand on a dime and on steep rock you have mega hooking power. I would really steer clear of the mythos as they are overpiced and although they are obviously yards better than the bufo's, they are just not as good as miuras. My girlfriend has mythos AND Cobras and she will tell you the same. whenever shes gets on a challenging route, out come the cobras.
Another point is that the miura will not stretch as much as the cobras due to them being lined with direction 9 piece lining which ensures the shoe stretches in the right directions. If you find the miura is just too tight then cobras stretch at least 1,5 sizes.
I hope this helps you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:02 pm 

Hi

I have family comming down from Canada soon, bringing with a pair of La Sportiva Katana's. I would just like to double check on sizes. I myself wear a UK 4. If anyone can tell me their views on this would be greatly apreciated as i dont want to be stuck with a pair that doesnt fit

Thanx guys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:06 pm 

Not a great idea to buy climbing shoes sight-unseen unless you have owned the exact same pair before. Besides, climbing shoes aren't significantly more expensive here in SA than in North America.
I recommend Evolv - they are sizes according to your street shoe size so you dont have to play the size guessing game. Evolv make 2 womens-specific shoes (narrower foot, lower ankle) - the Athena velcro and the Rockstar lace-up. The Rockstar got an Editors Choice award from both Climbing Magazine and Rock & Ice. You can find Evolv shoes at CityROCK in Cape Town, Drifters in Sandton, Hikers in Pretoria, or Camp & Outdoor in Durban. http://www.evolvesports.com/ROCKSTAR.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:13 pm 

Thanks, but irrespective of where i get the shoes from, trying them on will be a problem.

Sadly enough, there are no stores near enough to PE that sell climbing shoes. I would have to be mailing them back and forth trying to find the perfect pair.

...<grins sweetly> thanks tho