Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am 

Hey Neil, the St Francis guide looks really awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:36 am 

Yeah , ...Niel have to say it again . The work you & M did looks really great & looking forward to other climbers comments on using the guide at St Francis . Yes ! After bouldering there , drop a note here & say what you think .
We were there yesterday for a quick \"last\" visit for Niel & looks like we might have done everything there (though there were some new problems opened again yesterday!) , except of course for the harder lines already identified in the guide and maybe some easy ones we left because we were too pshyched for the harder problems .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:50 am 

Hey hey!

Just wondering if you guys found the stuff Michael opened at St Francis... and have you added that onto the guide yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:00 am 

Confuzzled..no ! We haven't . That will have to go in with the new and upgraded one later again . We did skip some other problems too and on Sunday we opened even more , but these will have to wait for now . Maybe contact me offline on this , please .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 pm 

Anyone been there lately? Dying to find out if anyone's explored left of the lighthouse. Dbez is right, unfortunately not much further right along the coast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:56 pm 

None of us...that's still here :( . Been out to the other local spots but I remember vaguely someone saying that the problems to the left isn't that high or hard . Anyway , we'll have to go and check it sometime .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:22 pm 

Great work on the bouldering guide. It looks great.

Microbe used to have a bouldering venue at Cape St Francis when he spent time there on his research trips. Have you thought of contacting him and adding that to your guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:36 am 

Hmmm, Microbe did lots of stuff in the EC, but did not keep records or can't remember where he put the records. I have lots of RD questions(non-st francis) to ask him, how do I get hold of him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:57 pm 

Whats all the hype about the few little rocks on the beach??One slight jump and your on top of most of them? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:05 am 

No hype ...just good fun . You must be really tall...or missed out on all the higher boulders :( .

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:26 am 

Deen-a-mit-e wrote:
Whats all the hype about the few little rocks on the beach??One slight jump and your on top of most of them? :wink:

Think youre missing the point bro. How high can you jump from a sitting position? You must have super developed ass cheeks or something! (Hmm dodgey that!) Well done to all the guys who put these probs up! Now there is bouldering right near one of the best surf spots in the world! Im in heaven, now I can do my two favourite sports in one place. Cant wait to get out there when the new reefs are complete and the wave is fully rejuvenated (major artificial reef project going on at St. Francis)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:56 am 

For interest's sake, how do they rejuvenate a reef? I've heard of stories about dumping tyres in the ocean hoping the coral would grow on them, but in the end they washed around and destroyed most of the reef that was left!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:05 pm 

haha..was hoping to get a reaction...I am PROBABLY THE SHORTEST S$&T
TO HAVE BOULDERD THERE AND ENJOYED IT THOROUGHLY, couldnt jump over the gravel on the approach road!! No super developed butt cheeks :shock: Seriously Cape St Francis Rocks, may go this weekend if weather holds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:36 pm 

deenamite if you can pls take your camera and the guide with and record anything you do (climbing I mean) that's not in the guide. Then mail it to me or DBez or Autocratic Scum so that the guide can be updated. Sorry to lay it on you like that ,but the area gets so few visitors we have to get the info where we can!

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 pm 

The reef thing is weird they fill huge eco friendly plastic bags with sand after attaching them to the sea bed. This is only after a huge amount of research studying wave patterns, bathymetry (sea bottom cotours), and sand flow over time. The project was initiated to stop beach front properties disappearing into the ocean (St. Francis Bay), which is kinda ironic as the building of the houses was what screwed up the sand generation and flow in the first place, resulting in the erosion of the beach. Anyway they plan to make the wave as good as possible for surfing too. Its costing the town R30 million for three reefs!!!

Deenamite didya catch the pun? point=cape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:26 pm 

Kudos to the guys that put together the guide - rest assured that there are climbers out there who really appreciate the work you dudes did. On behalf of everyone who have/will use this guide, thanks. Now if I can only get myself down there to check it out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:53 pm 

Thanks all, glad you like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:07 pm 

i'll jump on the band-wagon and say thanks as well... all those late nights in front of my pc were worth it :D