Quantcast
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: On the Rox dvd
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:29 pm 
hay i am just wondering how many people would be interested in buying in DVD about Rock Climbing? WF Studios SA is releasing a new DVD intitled ON THE ROX in the middle of this year about rock climing.. the preview is on www.myspace.com/samsaysmore ,click on videos and have a look at the first sneak peak... It will have the basic's about rock climbing to show people why we love this sport so much, some climbs in south africa including waterval boven and strubens, good music, interviews with climbers that have been climbing anywhere from 6 months to 10 years ect ect ... the international interest is very good, but i am interested in local views? Samantha is the producer and filmer of the DVD and is still currently filming in strubens.. so if you want to be included on the dvd you can go there and she'll film your stuff and maybe you'll get you're name in international light? She films saturdays from 11:30am. Anywhoo back to the orig question, who in south africa is interested in the dvd?

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:43 pm 

Sounds interesting...

Why Strubens????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:55 pm 
because thats the most popular where people climb in JHB, plus they do have decent climbs such as street fighter, but mainly because people there dont mind being filmed... we where in waterval boven last weekend, got good stuff but again people there dont like being filmed, they dont understand that it isnt for laughs but for a real dvd, so ja strubens made the most sense... any you can suggest that would be better? we are looking for the best vid we can get so any suggestions would be cool... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 pm 

I'm surprized to hear Joburg climbers aren't jumping to be filmed :-)

Strubens might be an easy place to film but I can't imagine many people want to watch it in a climbing vid...

I would focus on Boven... Maybe also Fernkloof and Chosspile if you pick the good lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:22 am 

How 'bout capturing some Magaliesberg Trad sends?

Not dissing Stubens, (t'was where I learned to climb), but the setting, lack of exposure and length of routes, may make for a rather boring section of the vid.

The Magalies crags are pretty accessible for 'pack-donkeys' carrying production gear. C'mon, expose the Jozi trad scene to the rest of SA!

Post subject: Filming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:26 pm 

Magaliesberg does not need this kind of exposure. It is a pristine environment which already has too much traffic, both by legitimate hikers and climbers and people who tresspass there via the various resorts. A commercial venture of this sort would do more harm than good. Film crews are also notorious for not leaving locations in the same condition that they found them in. Bronkhorstspruit is one of the sacraficial sport crags that seems to fit in with the others mentioned above and may offer the kind of visuals this project seems to want. I would also suggest contacting the MCSA before doing a project of this sort.

Post subject: Re: Filming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:12 pm 

Captain Haddock wrote:
Magaliesberg does not need this kind of exposure. It is a pristine environment which already has too much traffic, both by legitimate hikers and climbers and people who tresspass there via the various resorts. A commercial venture of this sort would do more harm than good. Film crews are also notorious for not leaving locations in the same condition that they found them in. Bronkhorstspruit is one of the sacraficial sport crags that seems to fit in with the others mentioned above and may offer the kind of visuals this project seems to want. I would also suggest contacting the MCSA before doing a project of this sort.

Jeepers Cap'n!

Ja, I'd also suggest contacting the MSCA if looking for access to crags on their land, but I think you're blowing my suggestion a bit out of proportion. What next, ban photography in the Magalies kloofs???

I agree some film crews have been notorious for spoiling some locations .....but those are the crews that set-dress a location and have teams of PA's and art dept folks running around doing their set creating thing, not to mention the mess tents and catering waste. I doubt very much that these guys have a crew of that size, and also doubt that they'll do anything to change or destroy the environment.

A couple of conscientious climber-types dangling off ropes, with a few digi-cams and a microphone or two, aren't going to do any more 'damage' than the same number of climbers climbing.

Personally I'd rather watch a vid of some good trad sends than sport climbing on 10m high urban crags, and was merely adding my 2cents worth. But hey, some people may enjoy a vid of Strubens, Mellville Koppies, and 14 Ave bouldering - Mmm, the cutting edge core of the climbing scene up north!! Great scenery!!! Blockbuster Vid!!

Again, just a suggestion, lose or use it (but if you do, contact the MCSA first).

Ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:59 pm 
WF asks Samantha to reply:

firstly well i love rock climbing as a sport and a spiritual venture... i would never let any of my crew do anything to ruin beautiful places that we do film... when we go to waterval boven and those types of places to film, i personally do the filming and maybe i bring a person or two to take photographs.. so please rest assured i do all i can to make sure we leave the crag's in the beautiful state that we found it in...
yeah i totally agree nobody would want to watch a dvd that is just about strubens ( i personally wouldnt produce such a boring product) however what gets filmed there is more the basic climbs and where it is easy to explain belaying ect a section of the dvd is about the basic's (belaying, rope equipment ect) for people who are interested in getting started.. and some of the close-ups are easier to film (not really easier but safer and more controlled) and close up photo's ect ect, this is what is filmed there... now the interesting parts of the dvd are filmed in waterval, magalies ect... we do travel around looking for great, interesting beautiful places... so dont worry about that!

If you would like me to come and film you in your favorite climbing crag let me know where it is, times ect.. i do agree SA guys are not into being filmed... until they see what i am filming... when i show them how great the vid is of them.... then they want to be filmed... so i do struggle a bit to get people into it..

thanks for the feed back.. if you want to chat to me directly go to myspace.com/samsaysmore and ill be happy to answer questions and take suggestions...

peace out Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:02 pm 
btw forgot to add that when we go to places we have a person from the rock climbing association with us at all times!!!!

Post subject: Vid
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:31 pm 

Does this rock climbing association have a website or contact details? :?

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm 

Hey Sam

I reckon you're on to a good thing. Just thought it would be nice to see something a bit more exciting or 'unusual' than old Strubs et al. Although, as a rock climbing introductory thingy, Strubs is probably just the spot.

Seems Magalies is a touchy subject, so why not get a challenge on the go, and get some peeps on film attempting onsights of some hard lines at Boven/Chosspile/Fernkloof (also some nice trad in Fernkloof)...or charm Mark and Alard into putting up some new silly-hard FA at Wellington's - on natural gear :twisted: ...would make a great vid.

Good luck...hope to see your name in lights!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:22 pm 
i do agree about strubens, but thats why in total the time on the dvd spent at strubens will be like 10 minutes max! i am not too sure about the website for the rock climbing association, ill check with my guy next time i see him and ill get the address..