We chose as our goal one of Bob’s secret unclimbed walls which we’ve been calling the Polar Molar for it’s tooth-like appearance and pearly-white enamel surface.
Tag Archives | Andrew Porter
After a few days rest we picked out a potential line on Impossible Wall and packed our haulbags: 80 litres of water, 100 cans of food and a mountain of hardware and ropes, over 300 kg in total.
The next day we woke up early and headed northwards through the iconic Disko Bay, home of the largest glacier on the west coast of Greenland.
We have just penetrated the arctic circle. This means we are now north of 66.3 degrees latitude, the point at which the sun never sets on the summer solstice (June 21). Weather has been misty and drizzly for the last few weeks, but Bob assures us this means we have 10-15 good days coming up. [...]
Stage 1 of our adventure is now complete. We have crossed the Atlantic and have reached Greenland.
Quote of the day came from Andrew when he said, “we should turn before we hit the rocks”…
Life is not good right now, and I have clearly tugged on one grass tuft and trusted one dodgy piece of weetbix too many.
It came to our attention that a group of well known South African climbers have some bold plans for this winter—plans that involve 7,000km of sailing and a healthy dose of big wall route development deep within the Arctic circle.
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
- BAbycoat: My! what a discussion. There seems to be two pa...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @ Martin I am not arguing on this point. I am jus...