Over the last 14 months I’ve collected enough carabiners used as lower-offs at belays to make a sound statistical analysis with the aim of drawing some conclusions about their breaking strengths.
Tag Archives | Bolting
Andy Davies has informed us that the 610 shiny new glue-in bolts have arrived for ARF phase II.
Sanddrif Crag is one of the better sport crags in the Western Cape. Please do not do anything to jeopardise access.
Good safe bolting requires training & experience. This is a overview, not a training manual. Find someone who has bolted some good routes to show you the finer points of bolting.
In conjunction with the Montagu Bolting Fund: Route #1 was re-bolted by Micky Wiswedel (who paid for all the bolts) and Justin Lawson
There have been bolts exposed to humid, sea air and which carry h the UIAA stamp on them, which have corroded so badly that they have simply fallen off under their own weight.
The Bolting Fund is picking up momentum in the way of funding and we are looking to replace more anchors and lower off’s at the Steeple and Farside Crags.
Official response from the Mountain Club of South Africa regarding the bolts that were recently installed on Table Mountain.
If you’re going to equip a route, do it for life and buy good quality equipment.
To avoid any further altercations with land owners and incorrect equipment being used, The Montagu Mountain Committee (who are responsible for the Montagu Reserve) have asked for applications to be submitted before a new route is bolted.
Recently a forum member enquired about access and bolting at Keur Kloof in Montagu
Stuart Brown has bolted another 5 Star classic line at the Palace.
The load carrying capacity of two different types of snap hook and quick link combination were tested on an Instron 5500 Universally testing apparatus. Load and displacement were recorded and presented on graphs. The modes of failure were also recorded.
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
- BAbycoat: My! what a discussion. There seems to be two pa...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @ Martin I am not arguing on this point. I am jus...