“A dragon without fangs is only a lizard”, I mused when Matthys and Werner raised the challenge to do the 250km Grand Traverse of the Umkhahlamba Drakensberg.
Tag Archives | Drakensberg
Let’s be honest to ourselves about our motivations for climbing; and let’s be aware of the impact our adventures have on the adventures and dreams of others.
The surprise announcement that the province was planning a cable car in the uKhahlamba Drakensberg could take the local tourism industry to new heights.
Life is not good right now, and I have clearly tugged on one grass tuft and trusted one dodgy piece of weetbix too many.
The objective was to provide all stakeholders with a helpful recommendation for the design, construction, and operation of VF/KS. In order to be able to make concrete recommendations for VF/KS construction, the following points were determined by the DAV Safety Analysis Division:
WJ Wybergh and Lt NM McLeod first climbed the Sentinel via the standard route on 29 September 1910.
Trying to tell someone you climb ice in South Africa is like explaining to foreign soccer supporters why the vuvuzela is necessary at local soccer games. The concept of ice climbing in South Africa is just not something that the average South African mind can comfortably conceive.
For the past six years I have been waiting for the Shisa gully at Giants Castle to come into condition to make an ascent of this previously unclimbed route. Only the final pitch had been climbed in the past and by top-rope only. This left the rest of the gully waiting for a complete ascent.
Anyone can go ice climbing (provided you have some ice). Richard Halsey give a recount of some ice adventures at Giant’s Castle Nature Reserve in the ‘Berg as part of a UCT Mountain and Ski Club trip.
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
- BAbycoat: My! what a discussion. There seems to be two pa...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @ Martin I am not arguing on this point. I am jus...