The Russian attempt on the first winter ascent of K2 was abandoned today, when Vitaly Gorelik died of heart failure in Base Camp.
Tag Archives | K2
Christian Stangl, the Austrian alpinist who had claimed the only K2 ascent in this pre-monsoon season, admitted yesterday to not having reached the summit, as had been contested by a part of the mountaineering community.
August 13, 2010 Christian Stangl called his home team in Austria from K2 BC and said he just got back from a successful, 70-hour long summit push. Christian’s claims have been questioned, since “no one returning from the Abruzzi route has seen his shoe prints, marks of the ropes being used, and his belongings in C2 and C3 remain untouched,”
Fredrik fell one hour later, past Gerlinde, possibly while placing an anchor. Looking for him in the whiteout, she found only one of his skis, the bad visibility prevented more details.
K2 is regarded as one of the most dangerous and difficult mountains in the world to climb. For every four people who have reached the summit, one has died trying.
Tom Ballard, son of the prodigy 90’s climber Alison Hargreaves who died descending K2 in 1995, has announced he wants to attempt the same mountain solo, and in winter. Ballard, now 21, is training in the Swiss Alps on the Eiger in preparation for the climb on the peak mountaineers often refer to and the [...]
One of the world’s leading high-altitude skiers Fredrik Ericsson is on a quest to become the first person to ski down the three highest peaks on the planet – K2, Kangchenjunga and Everest.
August 2, 2008, on K2 – twelve mountaineers were presumed dead after a series of catastrophic avalanches and ice falls. Then an orange dot was spotted on the mountain, off route, relentlessly moving down in the direction of Camp 3…
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
- BAbycoat: My! what a discussion. There seems to be two pa...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @ Martin I am not arguing on this point. I am jus...