Apparently I’m likely to fall off everything I climb if I don’t drink tea beforehand, but I’m willing to take that risk.
Tag Archives | Yellowwood Amphitheatre
In 1977 the great climbers, my friends Dave Cheesmond and Tony Dick established the first route up Yellowwood Amphitheatre.
Five days earlier I had made a big decision. One that had being weighing on my mind for a year… I decided I would ask Guy to do it with me and I felt a huge relief.
The apparition then melodramatically stated: “I am gonna vomit”. I turned my head away bemused but held the belay rope steadfastly as Farrell was still climbing on the other one.
As I thought that as I was relatively unfit, my rotator cuff was impinging in my left shoulder, my DIP joint of my ring finger was having an arthritic flare up and I was climbing with Dave who lamented as to his own unfitness…
The route “Jabulani” is located on the right side of the wall were a big system of corners is obviously seen from the ground. The seven pitches ascending the top consist climbing of different style, like corners, cracks, slabs, overhangs, etc
Until recently, this area has seen remarkably little development, despite its attractions: rock of Cederberg-like quality, a great setting, its proximity to Cape Town (this reducing the travel carbon footprint) and a reasonable walk-in distance of about 3 hours. The only real draw-back is that little or no water may be available in the dry season or unless it has rained recently. There remains much scope for climbing new routes of all grades.
I was thrashing down the Yellowwood scree with Stewart Middlemiss yesterday in the gloom of descending night fall feeling exhilarated by doing a free ascent of Prime Time Direct
Don’t ask why its ‘HIS’ face… I really don’t know.
To be absolutely clear and for the sake of keeping this article ‘pure’ I’ve done very little editing, so you’ll know when the author is speaking passionately.
While reading this article, keep in mind the forum topic Bad Things Happen When Good Men Do Nothing
Find us on Facebook
- Bolt issue on Kalymnos May 2, 2013
- Space Race – a new route on Table Mountain May 6, 2013
- New Cederberg Hiking map – Names update May 3, 2013
- Brian sending ‘Just Behrly’ May 6, 2013
- Jimbo Smith opens Last of the Mohawks on Table Mountain April 30, 2013
- A Himalayan Adventure May 17, 2013
- Activity Permits for rock climbing in the the Table Mountain National Park May 17, 2013
- Montagu locals watching over nature reserves May 17, 2013
- Los Muizenbergos at Topside May 17, 2013
- 2013 Black Diamond Tradathon May 15, 2013
- Bruno FARA: @BAbycoat This year I have rebolted three old r...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @BAbycoat At the moment in Kaly they use 304 or 3...
- Nic Le Maitre: Awesome Hilton, glad to hear that you are back cli...
- BAbycoat: My! what a discussion. There seems to be two pa...
- Emanuele Pellizzari: @ Martin I am not arguing on this point. I am jus...