Armageddon Time (23) ****
Start roughly 200m right of Time Warp (ie. 75m right of the clump of trees). Below & right of the prominent understepped overhangs is a slightly raised ledge. The climb starts up a shallow open book that leads up to the left-hand extreme of a narrow band of overhangs.
- Pitch 1 : (19) 40m Ascend the book, sneaking left around a roof. Move back right into the break & up to a ledge.
- Pitch 2 : (19) 20m Walk 12m left and climb a shallow recess to a sharp ledge. Traverse left to stance below the main corner .
- Pitch 3 : (20) 35m Climb the right-facing book to the base of the roofs. Traverse right and up (15m) until able to move up on pockets to a blank open book. Balance left into the easy break left through the roof to a large ledge. This pitch can be linked with the previous one.
- Pitch 4 : (21) 17m Turn the roof to climb the left-facing corner. Traverse right to a sloping stance beneath another corner.
- Pitch 5 : (21) 30m Step down & rail right across the void. Climb the flake system above to a ledge on the right. Climb the corner above to a higher ledge. This pitch can be linked with the previous one.
- Pitch 6 : (16) 20m Climb up to the big half-way ledge.
[ The Route continues up the headwall to the right of the huge broken recess/corner. Walk 80m right to a small corner with a flake at it's base. 5m to the right, just before a higher ledge is a short layback corner.]
- Pitch 7 : (23) 45m Climb the crack & move left over onto the ramp (thin). Either stance on the ramp or continue diagonally left to a short, steep, left-facing corner. Climb this to a ledge. Its impressive to do this as one pitch. It was opened as two pitches.
- Pitch 8 : (19) 35m Step down and climb left & up to a short layback flake. At the top move left under the roof past a small blocky ledge to a stance 4m diagonally higher.
- Pitch 9 : (20) 45m Move up right & climb the break. Climb left through a small juggy overhang past a ledge to a roof. Rail right to a crack, and climb it to a ledge on the left.
- Pitch 10 : (19) 45m Ascend a crack to a ledge. Avoid a gully by tending right on good grey rock to a ledge. Pull through the bulge 3m left of a chossy crack. Follow a short crack to the summit.
FA: Pitch 1-8 R. Suter, G. Morton & J. Fisher Pitch 9-10 R. Suter & G. Morton
FA: J. Fisher & P. Schlotfeldt 1987 (See Topo Diagram )
The Thin Crack above the stance after pitch 2 is graded 24. FA: J. Colenso, K. Smith & S. Middlemiss 1988
EITHER walk right to the gulley between Smalblaar ridge and the chesspieces. This involves three short abseils.
OR use the DOWN TIME Rap Route