New Joshua Tree
Take your climbing shoes with you if you go mountain biking in Tokai Forest. There are two granite boulders. The smaller one has quite a few problems. The larger one has scope for quite a few highball problems. Be careful!
There is a prize (a crate of beer) for the first ascent of Beer Wench 6a in cycling shoes.
Cycle up to Level 4 and then go another 200m past the "No cycling on this road, please!" sign. You will pass the granite boulders (down the slope to your left) after about 100m. Continue for about another 100m to a footpath. Follow the footpath to the two granite boulders.
The Boulder Problems
- R The Renovator 5+
- Up the arete (dangerous)
- BW Beer Wench 6a
- Up the obvious blank looking face
- NB Naked Back 5+
- Up the face right of Beer Wench
- B Backbone 5+
- Up the arete right of Naked Back
- CT Crute's Traverse 5+
- Traverse from left to right then up
- WD40 4
- A good warmup. Standing start at CT. Reach up for the layback crack. Climb the crack and then top out. Crux is near top. Kind of rounds off a bit.
- WW Whiskey Wench 6b
- Up the boulder just right of the jugs
- F Funkyzeit 6b+
- Sitting start, right of WW