|Climbing Type||Bouldering, Sport, Trad|
|Season||All year round|
The Houdenbek climbing areas surround the Houdenbek Farm Cottages on a farm called Môrester.
Directions: From Ceres, take the R303 north. Take a right just after Op-die-Berg and drive for another 20 minutes.
For accommodation (guest houses or camping) please contact Johalet van der Merwe. Details are on the website http://www.houdenbek.co.za/.
Weather forecast: http://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/Western_Cape/Houdenbek/long.html
Mountain bike trails: http://www.irideafrica.com/portfolio/houdenbek-mtb-trails/
blue pin = bouldering
green pin = trad
red pin = sport
Large boulder fields at Houdenbek remain unexplored. There are some great boulders amongst many others that are too blank, too covered in holds, too small, or too large. It is therefore difficult to compare with well-documented bouldering destinations like Rocklands.
Valley of Kings
- Bushman Beats 6C
- Tipping Point 6A. Nice slab.
- Rocking Point 6A+. Right of Tipping Point.
- Wacky Baccy 6C
- Thievery Corporation 6C Harder if you're short.
The Incredible Health Area
Bear Grylls 7C
Half Nelson 7B
Long Lock to Freedom 7A
Topo download: http://www.climbing.co.za/topo/download/53648/
In general people should exercise caution when climbing on some of the lower wall sections which have sections of very hollow and loose/sandy rock. Anything could break and does! We broke off a number of pieces whilst climbing. It will get better with time but as its a new crag people need to be safe and perhaps climb with a helmet. After about the 3rd bolt on each route the rock gets much better and more solid.
At least one bolt has popped out: "The bolt in question was the first bolt of ‘Get Some’ (18) – I was leading and saw it was loose so gave it a tug and it just popped out."
Left to right:
- Twin Towers (21) Richard Halsey 2011 (BB Russell Warren)
- Circus Sideshow (18) Scott Miller May 2014
- Beats Working (17) Rolfe Van Breda May 2014
- Rapture (16) Scott Miller May 2014
- Yo Gabba Gabba (14) Scott Miller Nov 2014
- Undertow (16) Scott Miller April 2014
- Serious Callers Only (24) Rolfe Van Breda May 2014
- Chunga’s Revenge (24)Tony Lourens March 2015
- Slim Shady (20) Scott Miller Feb 2014
- High Times (15) Scott Miller Nov 2014
- Amazaballs (15) ** Scott Miller Feb 2014
- Applestar Galactica (21) *** Gareth Meder 2011
- Granny Swish (23) Richard Halsey 2011 (bolted by Russell Warren)
- iClimb Fujitsu (24) Richard Halsey 2011 (bolted by Russell Warren)
- Mothers of Invention (22)Tony Lourens 2014
- Keeps the Doctor Away (20) *** Russell Warren 2010
- Tropic Thunder (19) Scott Miller Feb 2014
- Attitude Adjuster (21) Rolfe Van Breda April 2014
- The Grand Wazoo (20) *** Tony Lourens Dec 2014
- Get Some (18) *** Scott Miller Feb 2014
- Pink Lady (16) **** Charl van der Merwe 2010
- Golden Delicious (18) ***** Catharina Warren 2010
- Eating Crumble Pie (19) ***** Russell Warren 2011
- Crumble Pie and Cream (20) Tony Lourens 2014. Start on Crumble Pie, then breaks right
- Peaches En Regalia (21) ***** Tony Lourens June 2014
- More than I could Chew (22) ***** Russell Warren 2010
- Unwitting Accomplice (22) **** Rolfe Van Breda May 2014 (bolted by Russell Warren)
- One more Bite (20) ** Catharina Warren 2010
- Overnite Sensation (21) Tony Lourens Feb
LATEST TOPO UPDATE NOV 2015 Topo download: http://www.climbing.co.za/w/images/0/0f/Houdenbek_Trad_topo_160427_96dpi.pdf
If you open any trad routes, please contact Richard Halsey (email in the guide) and he will update the topo.