Wide fit climbing shoes

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

Againstthegrains

Wide fit climbing shoes

Post by Againstthegrains »

I live in George, where there are no climbing shoes that I can try on for size, so I am limited to order mail order.

I have short wide feet with a high instep, so its a battle to find shoes that fit. The last pair I bought (many years ago) were the Boreal Ace of which I have three pairs and have all had multiple resoles and re-rands. Can someone with "frog feet" please recommend a shoe that will fit wide feet. Preferably with a Velcro close. Doesn't need to be a super technical shoe, as I use it for trad and moderate grade sports routes.
Garron

Re: Wide fit climbing shoes

Post by Garron »

Evolv Defy Velcro - You may need to cut off the tongue to make the velcro close (I did). These shoes are not good at edging or heal hooking however they are super comfy for duck feet. Would be a good beginner or long trad day shoe, or just a play around in shoe.
Garron

Post by Garron »

Spirit Lady Velcro - For some reason the men Spirit velcro did not fit my feet well however the ladys were good after they were worn in, you can get them here: https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mounta ... lsrc=aw.ds
Not as comfy as the Defy's however a slightly better shoe.
benjaminCT

Post by benjaminCT »

I can really recommend the Ocun Ozone Plus if you haven't tried those. They're specifically made for wider feet and I find them super comfortable. They also come in half sizes. The downside is they are not cheap if you buy them in SA - available through MMO.

Size-wise I'm a UK10/EU44 street shoe and a UK9.5 fits nicely.