Draw left at Fawlty

Did you forget you favourite boots at the crag? Or, did you find some quickdraw on the 4th bolt of some route?
davelev

Draw left at Fawlty

Post by davelev » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:26 am

Hola, I left a quickdraw on the 4th or 5th bolt of Basil the Rat up at Fawlty Towers, hit pump city trying to get through the mini roof. The crag doesn't see much action but if anyone hops on it and retrieves it, would be lekker, if not just let her sit there and i'll pick it up next time round.

Warren G

Re: Draw left at Fawlty

Post by Warren G » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 am

Dave: Man up. Down climb, aid thru, rap in, or thread thru (been rebolted with glue ins), but to leave a draw because you're too scared/lazy/busy to retrieve your display of failure, and then to think its okay to simply post on a public forum expecting someone to retrieve it is an insult. That draw is fair booty, and you should consider yourself lucky if is is retrieved and returned to you.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Wes

Post by Wes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 am

Warren G wrote:Dave: Man up. Down climb, aid thru, rap in, or thread thru (been rebolted with glue ins), but to leave a draw because you're too scared/lazy/busy to retrieve your display of failure, and then to think its okay to simply post on a public forum expecting someone to retrieve it is an insult. That draw is fair booty, and you should consider yourself lucky if is is retrieved and returned to you.
Wow, harsh. Have you been hanging out with Marchall1?

The draw is HIS if anyone comes across it they should either leave it there or try to return it to him. And yes, a beer should be his reward for the latter.

davelev

Post by davelev » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:56 pm

The rain started coming down which prevented any attempt to get back on the route as planned.

And without getting into a war of words, there seems an eagerness to pass opinion on masculinity and failure here. Without falling into a similar judgmental trap as witnessed above, I can only deduce that a guy trolling a climbing forum during the day to pass judgement on character without context, ironically, lacks character.

Wes, thanks for sticking up. I’m not sure what the “climbers code” for retrieving gear is, relatively new to the scene, but whoever does so is welcome to keep what our friend Warren refers to as “booty”.

Alan23

Post by Alan23 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 am

Hi Dave

I seem to have your draw sorry I took so long to post I was not actually a member here and needed to get round to it.
Pity you needed to get abused to get your draw back I have left gear on many routes and I just got a draw back that I left on a route about six months ago when I found myself completely out of my league. I threaded the top draw that I got to and left an old draw as a second back up on an overhanging route.
How would you like it back I can drop at either city rock or block eleven or you can maybe collect from our offices in town.
Or we can climb together on a Saturday (normally) I'll try attack pic. Apparently my pic is too big damn them binary folk with their laws.

Regards
Alan

DieGesteweldeKat

Post by DieGesteweldeKat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 am

Warren G wrote:Dave: Man up. Down climb, aid thru, rap in, or thread thru (been rebolted with glue ins), but to leave a draw because you're too scared/lazy/busy to retrieve your display of failure, and then to think its okay to simply post on a public forum expecting someone to retrieve it is an insult. That draw is fair booty, and you should consider yourself lucky if is is retrieved and returned to you.
Wow Warren you're one hardcore c*nt aren't you :roll:

How about YOU man up and teach your second's how to prussik, or even better, learn how to self rescue your climbing partners?

So easy to pass judgement, I guess you never try anything that is beyond your ability? Amazing :wink:

Warren G

Post by Warren G » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:00 pm

I often try things beyond my ability: sometimes I win, sometimes I learn.

I was a bit harsh above, sorry Davidlev, however I do believe one should be willing and able to clean a route that one is not capable of completing by: aiding thru, threading a bolt (if the bolts are so kind), leaving a biner, down climbing or abseiling in. I will also confess that down climbing/falling bolt to bolt is a very taxing method of cleaning, but is a vital skill. Personally were I in his wet shoes I would have threaded the glue in bolt and cleaned the line, as this is the quickest method for that situation, however as he expressed above he wasn't willing to trust a single glue in bolt- something I have no problem with. I encourage David to do some homework on the strength of these bolts: there is a reason ARF has switched over to them.

DieGesteweldeKat: Lets go for a climb next weekend? PM me and we can exchange details, was thinking of the Hole -Route 66 needs to happen! Good opportunity to put a face to a name.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

DieGesteweldeKat

Post by DieGesteweldeKat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks for the offer Warren. Unfortunately The Hole is a bit above my pay grade at the moment.