Yellowwood and Blouberg Climbing register

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

SNORT

Yellowwood and Blouberg Climbing register

Post by SNORT »

I am interested to know how many people climb at Yellowwood and Blouberg and what routes are being done. Please could anyone doing a route there inform me.

As anyone would know that knows me, both Yellowwood and Blouberg are my favourite climbing venues and always a priority for me to climb there rather than anywhere else. Main reason for this is that even when doing one of the easier routes it is a real physical and mental work-out not equalled elsewhere and is probably the most important motivator for me to exercise and that keeps me in reasonably good shape. I am never bored climbing at these 2 places

So this is for no particular purpose other than for my personal edification. And wondering if anyone has my sentiments.

Stu

Re: Yellowwood and Blouberg Climbing register

Post by Stu »

SNORT wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:15 pm I am interested to know how many people climb at Yellowwood and Blouberg and what routes are being done. Please could anyone doing a route there inform me.

As anyone would know that knows me, both Yellowwood and Blouberg are my favourite climbing venues and always a priority for me to climb there rather than anywhere else. Main reason for this is that even when doing one of the easier routes it is a real physical and mental work-out not equalled elsewhere and is probably the most important motivator for me to exercise and that keeps me in reasonably good shape. I am never bored climbing at these 2 places

So this is for no particular purpose other than for my personal edification. And wondering if anyone has my sentiments.
"Reasonably good shape", LOL you must be fitter than most in the country with all the routes you do up there.
gwrightjhb

Post by gwrightjhb »

Blouberg is being climbed... A couple of Johannesburg and Pretoria climbers go out there every now and then. Lock down slowed down the momentum a bit but people are heading out again.

Love the place.
SNORT

Post by SNORT »

What routes at Blouberg are being ticked? Which is the most liked and/or popular
gwrightjhb

Post by gwrightjhb »

There is a variation route of Hey Jude, Moon shadow and Last moon that is popular. Other than that I know of the following being climbed:

- Moonshadow
- Last moon
- Hey Jude
- Psycho reptile
- Eight Miles high
- Something of value
- Eight tequilas of value

There is also Hectors new route Jikkels, stikkels, frikkels that was opened but not sure if its seen a repeat.
codger

Post by codger »

Does it count if I dreamt I did a route?
SNORT

Post by SNORT »

Well there is "The Dream of White Dogs". Are you a dog?
AllisterFenton

Post by AllisterFenton »

Have done some Blouberg routes over the years

Bush pig with Tim Slab (Feb 2020)
Hey Jude (bailed from the grassy edge with Chris O'D and Kieran Richards early 2018?) (topped it with Greg Wright, July 2019)
Big Corner with Evan Margetts (March 2019)
Something of value with Evan and Dylan Vogt (his first time trad climbing :thumleft: ) (Feb 2019)
Eight Miles High with Ben Louw (he freed all of it, I did a bit of hanging and pulling on gear) July 2018
Lastmoon with Greg Carter and Shane Quinell Sept 2016
Moonshadow with Steve Broccoli (BMC MCSA trip day 2) 2015? (tried it with Canadian Kelly but bailed from the grassy edge on day 1)

Almost ready to try some of the harder things :hapban the wall of white light has been calling my name for a while
SNORT

Post by SNORT »

:thumleft: