Short people routes!

Swop tips on moves, route conditions, etc.
drewolden2007

Short people routes!

Post by drewolden2007 »

Hello everyone!
I'm eager to know any short people routes for me while I'm still pretty short (age 13-160cm). I've done a route or two that I think would have been harder if I was shorter. I'm keen to send them while at the appropriate height. Quickly, quickly rack your brains and let me know :lol:. I can redpoint up to about 27/8 in several goes. For other shorties this can also be a reference for routes. Heres a few from me:

1. the optimist (27)-bit powerful - been done at 144cm (my brother, 11 years)
2. Eddy Of Bovidence (24)
3. Sheer Boredom (26)-low percentage moves-
4. No Mans Land (24/5)-apart from the first bit-
5. First wave (25)-shorties fit better in the crux to the flake-

Cool please add your cramped up lines :)
Last edited by drewolden2007 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
wesleywt

Re: Short people routes!

Post by wesleywt »

You can get demoralised in the gym because inexperienced setters can only increase the difficulty by setting routes with long reaches without logical feet. However, outdoors most routes are fine for short people as you can find beta that suits you. I suggest you try Route 66 at the Hole to understand that you are tall enough for nearly everything. That jump looks far but if you figure out the beta it's not.

Also, look at Illona Pelser's 8a card on 8a.nu if you want to know that you are tall enough. :thumright
Forket

Post by Forket »

Don't limit your progress by looking for easy lines to climb. Climb all of them.

E
justin

Post by justin »

As above what Wesley and Everyday said.

Now, I present to you Lynn Hill (a little before your time). Back in the day, she was one of the top female climbers in the world - anytime I can't reach something I think 'Lynn Hill' would make it happen.
:arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Hill

Height 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
Climbing career:
Type of climber
Free climbing
Sport climbing
Big wall climbing
Highest grade
Redpoint: 5.14a/b
On-sight: 5.13b (8a)
Known for
First free ascent of The Nose of El Capitan
First free 24-hour ascent of The Nose
First woman to redpoint a 5.14

At age 13 (and looking at your dad) - you will grow taller! At 160cm you're taller than Lynn Hill - now go crank some routes 8) :wink:
You may just come to learn things as a short climber that will compliment you as a taller climber.

In 1990, at the final stage of the World Cup Final, she was one of three competitors and the only woman to reach the top of the wall—and the only climber to complete the hardest move. As Joseph Taylor writes in his history of climbers of Yosemite, "at that moment Lynn Hill was arguably the best climber in the world, male or female".

See also: Out on a Ledge: The Last Excuse - Reaching past your shortcomings.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@montaguclimbing.com
Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre »

I'd bet good money you're taller than Gosia Lipinski, which means that Dream Street Rose (on trad) is totally possible...
Happy climbing
Nic
drewolden2007

Post by drewolden2007 »

re. Lynn Hill- Ha, know all about her. I read Rock and Ice every evening!
As for Dream St Rose, I'm Super psyched to try it out- on trad! I've read up lots on it in mags(SA mountain- I read those every evening too).
Drew :mrgreen:
Chris F

Post by Chris F »

Joe Brown was a notorious hard climber of the 50s & 60s, and was pretty short. When asked what do you do when you can't reach the holds, he said "I just climb up to them!"
Michael98

Post by Michael98 »

Ebert is right. Trying things that only suit you will limit your progress and boost your ego. Climb everything and learn to adapt, i have no doubt you'll be better off.

some motivation:

Colin Dufy 1.68m
Natalia Grossman 1.57m
Sean bailey 1.63m

Keep sieging
Michael