Incentive to retrieve Rope left on Valken Buttress - Table Mountain

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
MarkOConnor

Incentive to retrieve Rope left on Valken Buttress - Table Mountain

Post by MarkOConnor » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 am

Sat 10 Aug: 7:35am - Further to my post from 5 Aug - I have been in bed for 3 days and am in no position to retrieve that rope on Valken "D" route either this weekend or for the next three weeks and really do not want to leave this rope out there for so long, so I'm hoping that a small incentive may prompt someone to go out and grab it for me. I'm prepared to offer a couple hundred bucks cash or let's say a bottle of 5YO Three Ships whiskey. It's about a 30 min walk in from Theresa Avenue gate (Campsbay) to the start of the buttress and then a 2 pitch D grade climb to get to the anchor - so easy stuff for our many accomplished climbers out there. I will collect the rope from wherever you are. Hope somebody is keen. Feel free to call me if you want more info.

Morning from a cold & wet Cape Town.

Yesterday (Sunday 4 Aug) we retreated off a climb on Valken Buttress due to very thick, cold and wet fog! As a result we had to ab off from a spot just to the left of the top of the second pitch of the Valken D route (I think) - however we could not pull our rope down and had to leave it there. It is a light blue 60m 10mm Mammut rope. If anyone is climbing on that side (the right hand side of the buttress) and is able to retrieve our rope I would really appreciate that. Otherwise we will head back up again this weekend to retrieve. Many thanks Mark 0835974117

Hilton

Re: Incentive to retrieve Rope left on Valken Buttress - Table Mountain

Post by Hilton » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Hello Mark
Tinie and I went up to climb Thunder and Lichen today and guess what we came across!
I have your rope.
bests,
Hilton

MarkOConnor

Re: Incentive to retrieve Rope left on Valken Buttress - Table Mountain

Post by MarkOConnor » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi Hilton - that's awesome news thanks very much!

How can I get hold of you to arrange a time and place to collect the rope?

Depending on where you stay ? I could either pop in today or after work on Monday but anytime during this week would be great before I go away next weekend.

Cheers Mark 0835974117