David Wade

Latest South Africa climbing news! Good news - Hard sends, first ascents, onsights, wicked redpoints, competitions, etc. Bad news - accidents, muggings, rockfalls, etc. You can also send it on over to info@climbing.co.za.

Justin

David Wade

Post by Justin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:37 pm

With great sadness I received this message from Mike Behr:

Boven
To our friends and fellow climbers.
The following announcement comes with a heavy heart and a feeling of disbelief.
Our friend David Wade was shot and critically wounded last night in an attempted robbery at Tranquilitas Waterval Boven.
David was attempting to help the camp security guards that were being held by the perpetrators.
Police were on the scene within minutes but due to the adverse weather conditions were unable to immediately track the suspects..
From the owners and staff at Tranquilitas our sincere condolences to Lindie and the Wade family.
Lets always remember Davids passion for this wonderful sport.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Re: David Wade

Post by mokganjetsi » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:06 am

absolutely gutted. my condolences to the family.

alard

Post by alard » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:02 am

What Terrible News!! RIP David. Deepest Condolences to Family and friends.

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:05 am

Shocked to the core, I think all of us in this community. I have no words except to say RIP David. I only met you once but I won't forget. Condolences and sympathy to the family and those who were close to him during this terrible time.

ShaolinWood

Post by ShaolinWood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 am

This is so sad.
Cheers
Gerhard

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:32 pm

This is an unspeakable tragedy. And must be causing unimaginable pain to his family and dearest friends. The whole climbing community is affected and must be mourning. I did not personally know Dave but did through social media and felt like I knew him. My heartfelt condolonces to all concerned and affected.

The local effect on all the people at Boven may well be devastating; both those that are involved directly in climbing and those that are not. I sincerely hope that this dreadful act does not permanently undermine the spirit of climbing at Boven and that the authorities find and punish the perps to the full letter of the law.

Rob P

Post by Rob P » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:39 pm

I think our whole community will be absolutely shocked by this senseless tragedy. My deepest condolences to the Wade family and everyone affected.

laidback

Post by laidback » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:21 pm

I've had a lump in my throat all day. Occasionally I blink away a few tears and shake my head in anger and disbelief.

We weren't close, but had climbed together a few times over the years and hung out at the Tranquilitas Lapa through some long camp evenings. 

We first met at Chosspile in 2014. He struck me as a rather reserved but sincere and generous guy. A strong climber brewing even stronger coffee and drinking it with coconut  milk! 

Over the years he has warmed up on my projects and I have laughed at his boven dinners featuring mostly parboiled carrots and the fact that he has climbed 33 wearing socks! 

There was always more than enough to discuss with our shared passion for climbing: Home walls, hangboarding, roadtrips to Rocklands and Montagu. He and Lindie had a standing invitation to stay with us in KZN for an Umgeni trip which sadly never quite happened, and now never will. 

He  recently won the battle on Rodan, his long term project on the God No! wall. I had watched some impressive burns on the route and was so stoked to hear he had done it, knowing what he had put in and what it would mean to him.

David it was a privilege to know you. Your passion motivated and inspired many. 

A good, brave man and a mighty climber. 

You will be sorely missed
Allen

Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:15 am

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za