Climbing gyms and Corona

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
SNORT

Climbing gyms and Corona

Post by SNORT » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Sorry guys but I cannot keep my lip zipped any longer despite being an owner of CityROCK.

Climbing gym owners you have to close. The infection rate is doubling each day. If this continues for a month it will mean a million people infected and some 20 000 dead. Do the math! Us climbers are young and/or robust and will probably get away with it. But we will be a vector! I personally now know someone very well that is infected.

You cannot sanitize holds and climbing ropes.

I have effectively closed my medical practise as of today as well as I deal with too many elderly and immunocompromized people.

Do the right thing.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article ... d-19-risk/

rasmus

Re: Climbing gyms and Corona

Post by rasmus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:22 pm

I'd have to agree, it's the right thing to do. As climbers we can help make sure there are still gyms on the other side of this by continuing to pay our memberships, buy gear, courses and whatever else can be bought online/in advance etc.

It's a terrible situation for especially small businesses, but now is the time to avoid something much worse.

In some places with way better healthcare the situation is already serious. We all owe it to the weakest in society to do what we can. And compared to most things staying at home is easy...