City Rock JHB closure

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
rocklooney

City Rock JHB closure

Post by rocklooney » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:39 am

With the gym closed indefinitely I want to head off to Kings Kloof a few times a week to keep things ticking over. Anyone who can spare a few hours on weekdays and/or weekends and wants to get some climbing in WhatsApp me on 0743310273.

rocklooney

Re: City Rock JHB closure

Post by rocklooney » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Heello? Hmm. Seems like I'll have to watch some Alex Honnold videos to get some tips on free-soloing.

mdemaillard

Post by mdemaillard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:03 pm

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 am

Yes. This I get. I've been watching the progress of this thing daily on www.worldometers.info. The reality is somewhat different. I have to go to work today or I will die of starvation or exposure. I will also at some stage within the next three/six/eighteen months absolutely have to pop out to Pick n Pay/Checkers (Makro if I'm feeling apocalyptic) and buy some toilet paper. For all I know I may be infected already. The way I see it, the chances of getting infected/infecting someone on my drive to Kings and back to do a few routes is pretty minimal when compared to all the other stuff we all have to do every day whether we like it or not. Climbing in a hazmat suit maybe? Maybe not.

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:40 am

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-f ... every-year

Similar numbers. 60 000 deaths p.a. (30 000 since October last year). 370 000 infections requiring hospitalisation. The only difference I can see is that we don't have a vaccine. Anyway, whatever. I'll just go do some free-soloing. Not.

mdemaillard

Post by mdemaillard » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:27 am

Thanks, cool stats. But something bad isn't brushed off or justified because something is worse somewhere else.
Also, it's not about you.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/
Happy whatever, stay safe.

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 pm

"Also, it's not about you."
Yes. This advice has been doing the rounds on social media quite a bit lately so thanks but I have seen it.

Be that as it may I still fail to see how a couple of climbers at the crag represents a prominently actionable risk next to millions of people interacting in their homes, workplaces, feeling up the veggies at Food Lovers, travelling between centres, using their credit cards, filling up with petrol, standing in queues, using public toilets, and generally going about the daily survival business that is the human condition. If it needs to be controlled at this level (which is happening already in some countries) then there's whole lot of stuff that needs to come off the table, never mind rock climbing.

Logic

Post by Logic » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:55 pm

Roclooney, you are wrong. Indifference and dogmatism cloud your judgement. Going climbing, in most cases, involve many if not most of the “other” risk contributing factors you pointed out, you do the math...

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Having a different viewpoint makes me indifferent and dogmatic? No. I just have a different viewpoint. There's a word for people who are intolerant of different viewpoints. Sorry Logic. I tried but I'm afraid the maths doesn't work for me at all. If we're going to draw the line at ground zero then everything must cease. That's the fastest way to flatten the curve. If not then there are bound to be comparisons.

Logic

Post by Logic » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:19 pm

So you are only willing to adjust your behavior if everyone else commit to similar sacrifices, or are compelled to do so, by law ? (Sounds a little dogmatic, and indifferent, to me at least)
I am not saying going climbing (in a typical sense) is the most risky activity or that it will necessarily spread infection, however, on the flip side, there is also no evidence for the contrary, that it could not result in spreading infections.
I do think precaution ought to prevail in the current context.
Surely the maths add up perfectly, no?

rocklooney

Post by rocklooney » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Logic wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:19 pm
So you are only willing to adjust your behavior if everyone else commit to similar sacrifices, or are compelled to do so, by law ? (Sounds a little dogmatic, and indifferent, to me at least)
Uhmm. Did I say that? If so … where exactly? I quote "IF we are going to draw the line ….."(and) "IF we aren't then ….. " How does that translate into a measure of my willingness to adjust my behaviour bud?

[/quote]I am not saying going climbing (in a typical sense) is the most risky activity or that it will necessarily spread infection, however, on the flip side, there is also no evidence for the contrary, that it could not result in spreading infections.[/quote]

Uh-huh … so no evidence either way. Ok Cool.

[/quote] I do think precaution ought to prevail in the current context.[/quote]

I agree.

Surely the maths add up perfectly, no?

What maths? You haven't quoted any. If we're going to worry about a handful of climbers then there is a tsunami of other environments, behaviours and activities that need our urgent attention. I think what I am saying is that it is RELATIVELY insignificant in the greater scheme of things

This has been such a dumb debate. Thanks everyone. At least I've had some fun sitting in my office waiting for the phone not to ring.

Logic

Post by Logic » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:03 pm

Let me rephrase, there is only potential downside (in relation to spreading the virus) in maintaining behavioral status quo, ie just continuing to go climbing.

I agree, there are many other and more serious activities, behaviors etc than climbing, however, this does not affect the above statement. We ought to focus our attention on all of these.

I understood your comparison of the listed activities (that carry more risk spreading the virus than “going climbing” and are continuing unabated) as justification for not altering your behavior.

Also, your comparison of COVID-19 pandemic vs the flu insinuating that they are basically of the same magnitude/severity, which is completely wrong (insert world news here as evidence), coupled with belittling the plea to realise this not just about you, is strong evidence for indifference (if not also for dogmatism).

Boredom does indeed spark some stupid debates.

BAbycoat

Post by BAbycoat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:03 am

@rocklooney,

remember the old adage of "take only photographs, leave only footprints" ? It applies to COVID too.

Are you absolutely 100% sure that you are neither leaving COVID to the community you're visiting nor taking it back to your own community? If not, stay home and work on your core strength. You'll climb harder when this passes.

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:48 am

follow the official best-practice directives :thumright