What's in a Wiki?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Warren G

What's in a Wiki?

Post by Warren G »

I firmly believe the best feature of this website is the wiki, and we as a community should be both populating and exploiting it.

The authors of guide books do not have copyright over the information in the guides as fundamentally this is public information: it is public knowledge what route Sterling Silver is, its grade and location. If you'd like we can agree to include references to the guide books on those pages.

I say all of this not bashing the work of Tony, Roger and all the other guide book authors: their work is core to our community, and their publications full my humble bookshelves with an orgy of inspiration for me to read in awe and wonder. In many ways the wiki is best for the forgotten, the new and the arb. It is a fantastic place to discover who has been up to what, and as a repository of old archive type information. Periodically the enthusiastic gleam enough from it to produce more tomes of established areas in a printed form that is flashier and better laid out than the wiki.

@Deon van Zyl and Gavin Peckham: please share the Mossel Bay and Wit Umfolozi route guides. We aren't surfers.
Sandbagging is a dirty game
grae22

Re: What's in a Wiki?

Post by grae22 »

While route names and grades are typically public domain, bear in mind route descriptions are the intellectual property of the author (although, in some cases these have been copied from a public source - the author will acknowledge as much). All that to say, we shouldn't copy descriptions from books and put them up online (without the author's written permission).

Gavin's WUMF guide is on the wiki, though - I urge anyone making use of it to make a donation (described in the guide), the guide is well worth it (as are all his guides) :thumleft:
Forket

Post by Forket »

Warren G wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:14 pm I firmly believe the best feature of this website is the wiki, and we as a community should be both populating and exploiting it.

The authors of guide books do not have copyright over the information in the guides as fundamentally this is public information: it is public knowledge what route Sterling Silver is, its grade and location. If you'd like we can agree to include references to the guide books on those pages.

Aye
NatureBoi

Post by NatureBoi »

Hi,
The wiki is now antiquated. It's so user-unfriendly, you need to code etc, can't create topo's/time-consuming. Might sound a bit harsh, but I have given a lot of my time to this site so I can say it as it is. The only thing keeping me here is the 2nd hand gear and conversations like this.

https://www.thecrag.com/ is where it is at. They are constantly tweaking the platform. And welcome user input. And it's free, so check it out. If you were on the site a few years back, it's nothing like then!

https://27crags.com/ you need to pay for. And once you have paid it still is not current.

https://www.mountainproject.com/ Seems heavily USA based and a few years behind in functionality and power.

Cheers
Cormac