End of life gear disposal

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Ringo
End of life gear disposal

Post by Ringo »

As the heading suggests, I’m interested in what people do with their old climbing gear, which has reached its end of life. I have some old ropes and old quickdraws (20 years) that I’m looking to dispose of, as I don’t want them to be used by anyone. Any suggestions on proper disposal and/or ideas?
Thomasclimbs

Re: End of life gear disposal

Post by Thomasclimbs »

There are a few organizations that use old climbing ropes in underprivileged communities to make dog leashes.
Forket

Post by Forket »

Dog bones ideal for key chains
AndrewSport

Post by AndrewSport »

I have a bit of a climbing museum going and would love samples of old, cool, damaged or worn out mountaineering and climbing equipment.
At the moment I have probably around 60 different brand and model carabiners, a few iterations of the Troll harnesses (and some other harnesses), 5-6 different style/brand ascenders, a bunch of pitons, a few crampons, some camming devices, etc.
Even some handmade stitch-plates that i was lucky to find at a secondhand sale.
But there are thousands of versions of each piece of gear and i would love some old school, hard core "grass stakes".

So if you have old gear, please send some of it my way :-)
(because they are wall-hangers they can even be severely damaged, unsafe or broken, if it is a representation of something i dont have yet, i will love to have it)

I am in Pretoria
p.s. I ran out of space and the stuff is in boxes at the moment else i would have posted some photos.
chonGus

Post by chonGus »

If your ropes are totally done for, recycling is a great shout. Some spots even take old gear to give it new life. But be sure to cut those ropes up to avoid any accidents. Quickdraws are a bit tougher. Scraping them might be the safest bet.