Prince Albert / Swartberg Pass

Find someone to climb with... anywhere
AndreH

Prince Albert / Swartberg Pass

Post by AndreH » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:33 pm

Are there any climbers here who live in Prince Albert or Oudshoorn, or who climb regularly in the Swartberg? I am likely to move to Prince Albert permanently (lets call it a semi retirement) in the coming months and the climbing in the Swartberg looks absolutely amazing.

I see here: http://www.easterncaperockclimbing.co.z ... tberg-pass that Derek Marshall, Terence Travaskis and Ruben Snyman opened some routes at Horlosiekloof On the Swartberg Pass) in June this year. If any of these guys see this please get in contact with me, a fellow traveller with some trad experience and his own gear and who can lead sport routes up to 22. Alternatively if anyone can put me in touch with any one of these guys or any other climbers who live in Prince Albert/Oudshoorn, I would appreciate it.

Andre

Marshall1

Re: Prince Albert / Swartberg Pass

Post by Marshall1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi Andre

Swartberg Pass is lots of fun. There is a group in PE keen to make more trips there. There is talk of a trip in December, so let's tie up.

King regards
Derek Marshall
marshall@qsafrica.co.za

AndreH

Post by AndreH » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:04 am

Hi Derek,

Brilliant. Thanks for your reply. I should be there in December and keen to climb. I found some of the routes on the yellow lichen slabs this past weekend (just had a look -see) but couldn’t find the routes or even the crags on the Pass from the directions.

Please keep me posted.

Andre
Andre.human@gmail.com

KDK

Post by KDK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:29 am

Hi Andre & Derek,

We are planning on doing some climbing there in December. Would like to hook up. Will send you email...

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi Andre

The crags are all in the lowest part (the poort section) of the pass, closest to Prince Albert. Should be easy to find. I will add a map to the guide in due course.

Snoekie

Post by Snoekie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi Andre,

We are climbing in the pass this coming Saturday with friends who climb mostly in Oudtshoorn. We are meeting in the Horlosie car park at 09h30. Feel free to join us.

There is an ex. Capetonian climber who retired to Prins Albert. I see he has opened some new routes. His name is Basher. I cannot recall the surname but he would be a good Prins Albert climber to get you going.

For your interest, my wife and I live in Mossel Bay so Swartberg, Oudtshoorn, Gamkaberg, Wolwerivier, etc have become local for us so it will be good to meet another climber from the area.

Regards
Deon
079 378 5669