Tranquilitas Access Only

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Justin

Tranquilitas Access Only

Post by Justin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Access to Tranquilitas now limited to residents only

If you want to climb at Tranquilitas or Mayhem crags you will need to be a resident at Tranquilitas.

The area including Mayhem to Disciple wall is out of bounds to anyone that is not a resident.
Anyone found trespassing on these properties will be liable to prosecution.

We want you to take this seriously and we will make an example of the first person found trespassing using all legal means possible.
If you are wondering why the sudden turnaround after having free access to the area for so long you can thank “The real lazy asses whatsapp group”
We have been criticised by members on this group for not taking action but no-one has bothered to include us on the group to comment or contacted us directly.

The following people are banned from ever entering Tranquilitas’s property or its network of trails.
Edward, Richard and Kirsten you know who you are and so do most of your friends. And of course Ebert, that goes without saying.
This list may be updated to include others so watch this space.

If anybody else wants to climb on these crags you will need to be a resident at Tranquilitas.
No more parking at the farmhouse to climb at Hallucinogen, Super Bowl or the Theatre you will have to take your chances on the road or get dropped off.

This comes into effect on 13th January 2020.
Mike Behr
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Forket

Re: Tranquilitas Access Only

Post by Forket » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:39 am

Wow Mike, I knew I didn't like you after you charged 3 students R4000 to host the BMF (rock rally) on your property, attracting 100s of clients who all had to pay camping after the times we hosted Exploratio beginners weekends hosting 100s of new clients who all paid camping, but this is going next level man. Even after the 100 times we came privately or referred friends to come chill at your campsite. Next level man:/

Goodluck in your business ventures!

Ebert Nel
Last edited by Forket on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bongoleo

Post by bongoleo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:51 am

Ebert, when you contracted malaria in Africa I thought we were in with a chance, It is obvious now ebola will be our only hope!

Forket

Post by Forket » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:23 am

Wow Mike, from banning me off your property to death wishes.... :shock:

We havent spoken or seen each other in years and now this because some kids dissed you on a WhatsApp group I'm not even part of ?

Real mature bra, your kids must be proud, gonna be interesting to see what they turn into...

bongoleo

Post by bongoleo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 am

You are right Ebert, i will try to be a better example to my kids.
On another note, How is Nepal? Any good bouldering?
Did you take your concrete mixer with? And did you manage to patch your tent that was knifed in Spain. Enjoy the trip and be safe. Just kidding about the ebola....

deSouzaFrank

Post by deSouzaFrank » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:37 am

Mike.

I cannot imagine what these moegoes must have done for you to take such measures. Knowing Ebert from climbing posts im not surprised though. He has always been an arrogant little boy that seems to think he’s the reason the sun rises, and as they say, birds of a feather flock together, i can only assume his mates are just as big planks as him.

This is going to effect all of us, especially local guys who dont need to stay over a night to visit. I have never been one to push grades and rather love taking guys from work, neighbours, family members or other random people i meet out to go climb for the day at Tranquillitas. Have them see just how awesome climbing is and how far climbing is from what Hollywood has made them think it is. But this is now stuffed for me and many others due to a handful of narcissistic planks from Pretoria.

Ebert.

Please ensure from here on, that you and your mates not only check over your shoulder but check the top of the routes you climb. Rock falls are absolutely horrible and happen far more frequently than you might think. You Doos.
Last edited by deSouzaFrank on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forket

Post by Forket » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 am

I find it difficult to be a peaceful citizen. I've tried saying less and doing more. I love climbing and developing climbing and will maintain my stance in the community, in as peaceful a manner possible. This is however unacceptable, in my opinion, and wish to set the matter straight by publishing a private conversation between Mike and myself a few hours after he posted this topic. I'm not gonna read this forum topic anymore so you can reach me elsewhere.

Ebert Nel
Attachments
received_2512868378986123.jpeg
received_2512868378986123.jpeg (96.53 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
received_459490878078384.jpeg
received_459490878078384.jpeg (85.43 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
Last edited by Forket on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

deSouzaFrank

Post by deSouzaFrank » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 am

Well well well.

So sorry Ebert. Honestly sorry about my remarks. They where made out of pure anger. Thanks for posting this and making things absolutely clear.

Mike you can keep your Tranquilitas.
Ill make different plans from now on.

Once again sorry Ebert.
Last edited by deSouzaFrank on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgentSmith

Post by AgentSmith » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:20 am

I have confidence that this will hopefully blow over. There’s far too much emotion here and it certainly seems to be getting nasty and petty, unnecessarily so.

Edward, Kirsten and Richard have been made out to be straw men and I honestly don’t recall them doing whatever they were accused of. Also keep in mind from what I can recall, Richard and Kirsten were there the night of David’s demise? The only reason climbers are not coming to their defense (Barring a handful), is because they are too afraid to be banned too, which is shameful. I also see a great deal of virtue signalling on social media trying to gain favour. It’s a sad state of affairs.

If ever there was an example of an unnecessary escalation it is this. The real crux so to speak, is not people bad mouthing Tranquilitas, it is the fact that there was too much speculation due to a lack of communication. This could all have been avoided, and from what I can see, mistakes were made from both sides.

The main sentiment on the group was definitely one of a willingness to help, in a constructive way.

Eurendur

Post by Eurendur » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Dear Mike.

Thanks for being so hostile towards everyone who did nothing wrong, and who are still prepared to visit Tranquilitas after all that happened. Or shall I say, WAS prepared. Consider your turnover to drop even lower than 75%, which is now public, and made everyone a fool who come to enjoy the climbing.

This has been so petty and childish. Have not seen any oosts and official comment from Tranquilitas to say what has happened on both occasions, and all of a sudden this outburst. Mature much? Ill head off to climb somewhere else, until you've "gone soft" and apologised for your ridiculous outburst.

Ant

bongoleo

Post by bongoleo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:53 pm

I have been asked to provide context to the above notice of access limitation to Tranquilitas.

Please note Tranquilitas is not closed.

The only difference is now you have to be a resident or pay a camping fee to use its facilities.

Tranquilitas has had 2 armed events in the last 15 years. That is by no means a pattern. Unfortunately it is a concern and a growing trend in Mpumalanga with hijackings and muggings increasing in the area. Even the Kruger Park has reported lower than usual visits due to the increased crime. The robbery in 2018 cannot be included in this pattern as the culprits were caught by us the next day and despite 10 court delays over 8 months which the victims didn't even bother attending, we as Tranquilitas secured a 3 year conviction for possession of stolen property.
Thats the best we could do.
Regarding David Wade's incident the police firmly believe it was the work of opportunistic outsiders as most of the townships recognised criminals were under eyes that evening as there was a raid in the township, with the police using 10 vehicles and over 30 personnel from nearby towns.
There is a substantial cash reward offered for information leading to the capture of these criminals.
Unfortunately the information received from informants has been more disturbing than we expected with the Nelspruit and Middelburg CID now involved with issues in the town and township. Sorry but I cannot comment further on this issue.
With regard to the December robbery the police believe it was a zip-gun used and the perpetrators are living in the bush. They are treating it as a very serious case as illustrated by the calling in of the dog unit and police helicopter on two occasions over 3 days.
Witnesses saw the suspects move into a valley 10km East of Boven as they obviously feel threatened by the vigorous policing now in the area. Nevertheless our approach is to now close the rear of the campsite with a fence and barbed wire. 12 new solar sensor street lights have been erected to help our security with the early detection of intruders.
Remember our security are only farm workers and are not there to suppress and arrest. Only an early detection system so that the police can be called. Radios are supplied to all our staff and there are also fixed radios in the Max tents should the customers feel the need to call our staff.
Any person camping alone can also be issued with a radio should they feel vulnerable.
We are also considering various early warning systems whereby early intruder detection can be implemented.
It is almost impossible to secure the whole farm or campsite as it will effect the nature of the venue, and regardless if you do this there will always be a way for the criminal with intent to enter.
Police are also patrolling the road and campsite on weekends and occasionally during the week as they have leads to follow on neighbouring farms.
Ruben our neighbour and our staff also do farm patrols on selected evenings.
As far as the banning of certain climbers goes, it was done as a result of them advising our customers to not stay at the campsite. This while they themselves were using the facilities.
We cannot maintain the property without customers, and to recommend a boycott will mean our 10 staff and their dependants will be without income seeking income elsewhere (perhaps crime as an only option) so we would be perpetuating the cycle.
If anyone needs to know the full story they can contact me personally or alternatively set up a meeting to find solutions.
We are totally open for suggestions just don't discuss the issue behind our back and expect results.

dwr

Post by dwr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Jeez what a mess.....
A situation I feel could easily have been resolved by the two parties involved... I don't see why the whole climbing community has to be punished...
But what now?.... If I'm staying at roc n rope lodge or any of the other various accommodations, am I not allowed to climb at tranquilitas or just not allowed into the camp grounds?
If I'm not allowed to climb there, then will there be a day pass system, where I can pay a fee, park my car and go climb, or will I have to pay for a night's camping?

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:42 pm

BTW did the MCSA sponsor bolts from the MCSA bolting fund for routes on the crags to which access is now limited?

deSouzaFrank

Post by deSouzaFrank » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:48 pm

So let me get this ban straight. The ban is only if you’re not staying over at tranquilitas and you dont get your badplaas styled arm band or what not. The ban only includes Mayem, the Creche, Tranquilitas, Baboons butress, God no and Deciple wall. From Hallucinogen onwards it will still be as its always been?

Does this ban include mountain biking? Do you also intend to ban day visits for them. Please do clear this up so i can also just inform my MTB friends of the new rules.

I for one dont have a problem with this Mike. You can keep your accommodation, your crags and you access arm bands or what ever you’re going to use to control this. Plenty of other crags to entertain me and my friends. Acra guesthouse has always allowed me to park by them, for free, and ive never had any hassles at any of the crags. In fact they are at times more enjoyable. Foundry comes to mind for mid winter climbing and flying is fun for the days i take the younger ones. Afterwards ill end off the day with one or maybe two ice cold ones at Acras bar. Ive had the best lamb curries ive ever had there.

So ja Mike. Sad for all of us who frequented your place as a “day visitor” and enjoyed the coffee and snacks at the shop, even sadder for you for chucking Ebert under the bus like that. You worrying you’ll come across as soft at his expense was in fact you not being soft but weak.

Ps. Please ad me to the ban list the same way you have so easily added Ebert’s name.
Last edited by deSouzaFrank on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hh4m

Post by hh4m » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Mike Behr and his stories... #facepalm

Why does he always bring up his entire life story at every single little problem?

"we had free firewood but they fucked it up so u cant park here"

:drunken:

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Hey team SA climbers let’s all cool the emotion and the polemic. As an owner of a business where climbers get injured from time to time I can assure you that we take the matter of crime and injuries very seriously. We are all victims of crime and business owners are subjected to a triple whammy by having to deal with the emotional fall-out, the loss of business and then the costs of upgrading security.

Mike and Ruth have put in huge effort, loads of money and tcreated the most awesome facilities at Tranquilitas at enormous risk; something that younger Millenials and generation Xers have no idea about. The investment return on such an enterprise is minimal and almost certainly negative. In fact, even if Mike had to charge double for the facilities it would not pay for the maintenance and other costs of running the facilities never mind the salaries he pays.

If fear mongering continues the land value will tank too.

Mike as an owner does not need any of this and who can blame him for his reactions when there are people that undermine him. Everyone is hurt and “raw” from Dave’s death and the only way this can be resolved is if the whole community stands together and supports all the business owners in Boven.

Do not be surprised if Mike throws in the towel if this horrid adversarial issue continues. And it is certainly not necessary to take sides and use course language. Foreign climbers refer a lot to Climb.co. za and this is just bad for everyone. If Tranquilitas shuts down we will all be the losers as will the local Boven population because I do not know anyone that will be even remotely prepared to take on what Mike has for all these years.

So as my mother used to say, if you can’t say something constructive or nice then rather keep quiet.

deSouzaFrank

Post by deSouzaFrank » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Yes SNORT. I get what you saying but none of that has any thing to do with the fact that Ebert (a guy that is already not very popular) gets chucked under the bus with something as “emotional” as this. I honestly wanted to physically harm Ebert (or at least try) for causing this ban only to read the WhatsApps. Swak form. Maybe my generation is wrong but according to me it was pretty weak.

Forket

Post by Forket » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:34 pm

SNORT wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:58 pm
So as my mother used to say, if you can’t say something constructive or nice then rather keep quiet.
@Snort
Wasn't it Thumper's mother from the Bambie movie that said that?

@Mike Beer
Please consider deleting this post and let's work together to get rid of this problem. This forum topic isn't going to get you more money in the bank. Please consider it for all of us.

@Justin
With Mike's approval, please delete this topic. It's better for everyone!

We live in a difficult time when it comes to security and communities working together. Please can everyone stop picking sides and let this topic slide. We all love climbing. We're all in this together.
Attachments
c987b4af5c448f8f832d967ab868c25b.jpg
c987b4af5c448f8f832d967ab868c25b.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 1352 times

hh4m

Post by hh4m » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm

We wouldn't be on this thread if Mike could solve problems without alienating people that support him.

Forket

Post by Forket » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:47 pm

hh4m wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:40 pm
We wouldn't be on this thread if Mike could solve problems without alienating people that support him.
Not helping

hh4m

Post by hh4m » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:49 pm

The situation is beyond help my good lad!

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Agreed! Not constructive and not nice. So zip it please.

hh4m

Post by hh4m » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:02 pm

It is constructive. I'm specifying concisely what Mike needs to work on, unlike u SNORT who projected himself on the problem.

Anyways, i don't wanna start a flame war. im out.

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi All,

Mike has been contact (as has Ebert) and this thread will be locked (possibly removed).

Mike will be at CityROCK JHB on Thursday at 18:30

All the banned climbers and members of the whatsapp group (will hopefully be there) are invited as is everyone else.

From my side, I've dealt with access issues before... communication (talking and listening) is key.

Good luck to Waterval Boven Climbing on Thursday - it's up to all of you.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za