Mt Everest (Harrismith) on auction

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Viking

Mt Everest (Harrismith) on auction

Post by Viking » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:03 am

Anyone keen to buy the Mt Everest Farm in the Free State?
It's up for auction. Loads of great climbing.

IMG-20200115-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200115-WA0000.jpg (131.12 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

Warren G

Re: Mt Everest (Harrismith) on auction

Post by Warren G » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 am

MCSA? Then you lease the farm to a local to cover the costs of the property similar- to the system at Wilgepoort.

Why not use a property for multi sports, rock rallies, mountain bike races, adventure races, orienteering, commercial zip line, via Ferrata, outdoor school...

Look how successful the rock rallies and NBL where in that area: half way between Durban and Gauteng, just a taste of what that place could become. Our Mount Everest
Sandbagging is a dirty game

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Warren G wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 am
MCSA? Then you lease the farm to a local to cover the costs of the property similar- to the system at Wilgepoort.

Why not use a property for multi sports, rock rallies, mountain bike races, adventure races, orienteering, commercial zip line, via Ferrata, outdoor school...

Look how successful the rock rallies and NBL where in that area: half way between Durban and Gauteng, just a taste of what that place could become. Our Mount Everest
I like! Seriously, approach MCSA with a basic business plan and see if they bite.....

JanoSA

Post by JanoSA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Warren G wrote:

Possibly the best idea/news I've heard in a long time. Would hate to lose access to this excellent climbing area

AndrewV

Post by AndrewV » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Warren G wrote:

Brilliant idea!!!

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:36 pm

There is actually no such thing as "The MCSA". It is an organization of loosely connected individuals that mostly volunteer their services. It is not a commericial enterprise and makes no profits. The members fees are a pittance compared to the costs of buying and managing properties. Land acquisition usually occurs when people either donate it or these loosely connected people in effect Crowd Fund and "the MCSA" has very little money in its actual coffers. You are looking at millions here.

Then you would need to manage the land, including security, fires, theft and so on. This is a major enterprise....

If "the MCSA" had the financial clout it would buy up property left right and centre starting with Yellowwood if I had a say in it. Yellowwood is on private land that includes a vast area and a grape farm and farm house. And would sell for about R20million.

I would happily put up a quarter of that.

So if the decision makers of the MCSA are reading this please give feedback.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:22 am

Yup, if you want to get "the MCSA" to do something, join (if not already a member) and motivate for it to happen. This will include doing some of the work yourself.

Sadly, it seems that mostly of the people who demand that "the MCSA" do X, are not members, nor are they willing to actually do anything, they just want it done on their behalf.
Happy climbing
Nic

IdratherBeCimbing

Post by IdratherBeCimbing » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am

I think its important to note snorts comments . The mountain club is not a financial venture that generates massive amounts of funds. I work for a company that specializes in lodges and hotels. Apart from just the purchase (which I saw on property 24 I believe Bidding starts at 12 million as the land is sold with all the Game) and general upkeep of that property, In order to turn that lodge into a working business it would cost upwards of 30 million to achieve the necessary upgrades for it to be appealing to customers and not again become financially unsustainable as is the current situation . so that's a minimum outlay of 42 million.

Past the financial aspect then you would need and Operator to run the place which would leave the club entering into business ventures with other companies , this just isn't viable.

Pending the sale of the land I personally think the best course of action would be a re-negotiation of access with the new owners , or if there is a large amount of funds and backing from members possibly the sections would look into a joint purchase of a servitude between JHB ,MAG and KZN Sections. For now I think we will have to wait and see what the new owners say. The club definitely wont just let the land be forgotten and lost as there's already been a substantial investment interns of bolts and man hours.