Covid 19 direct effects vs Lockdown

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
SNORT

Covid 19 direct effects vs Lockdown

Post by SNORT » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:52 am

I was wondering how the actual virus has affected members of the climbing community directly. We all know what Lockdown as caused.

As an example, to date I do not know anyone personally who has died from the virus but know of an elderly parent of 1 person I know, and a granny of one of my daughter's school mates; I have a cousin (in law) healthy age 52 who was infected in Switzerland that has recovered, and I know Pete Janscheck who lives in Switzerland and was infected while skiiing.

Closer to home my neice is an ICU nurse at Groote Schuur who bursts into tears when she tells us about the very ill and dying Covid patients. And of course she cannot and does not come for her weekly Tuesday night visits.

One of my anaesthetists will not allow me or other people near him because he is working in hospitals with Covid patients.

My Orthopaedic consultancy practice has collapsed entirely as I cannot justify consulting with people directly. Giving out lots of free advice though.

Discovery med scheme set up consulting codes for online consulting but to date has not made good on payments for these codes.

GarthL

Re: Covid 19 direct effects vs Lockdown

Post by GarthL » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:44 pm

I tested positive on March 16 and over the course of the next three days 5 others in the group I was working with tested positive.

My experience of the virus was 3 days of light flu like symptoms (fever and body aches) and then loss of taste for five days after that. Everyone in the group experienced more or less the same thing with one person having no symptoms at all.

The Department of Health declared me recovered on March 31st without me being retested, basing it on the protocol of clearing people if they have been symptom free for 7 days. The two internationals in my group were also declared as being recovered but had to retest to take their places on a repatriation flight to the UK. They retested a week after the DOH declared them recovered and they tested positive again. They were told that they could still be positive but not infectious but no-one really seemed to know. Needless to say they didn't make their flights and continued to self-isolate.

I was case 33 in SA and the protocols were changing daily. The DOH assigned doctors to each of us and they checked in on a daily basis but the information each of us received was quite different in some cases. It was within the first 2 weeks of the first official case in SA and it very much felt like the health services were scrambling to understand what was happening.

Everyone in the group was between 30-45 years old and healthy but not necessarily active.

SNORT

Post by SNORT » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Wonder if anyone has a more recent experience. Right now Garth you do not really know where you stand in terms of being infective or not....

Are you a climber, what have you been doing about your situation. And what would you advise?

GarthL

Post by GarthL » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:31 pm

No Snort, not 100% positive on where I stand. I have a family member who is an infectious disease doctor who is in management in the DOH who has said that based on what they are seeing, I'm almost certainly not infectious. They have asked me to come in and donate blood for use with covid 19 patients who may be in need of transfusions so there seems to be a level of confidence that I'm through it

Yes, I'm a climber.

It's a tough one with regards to what to advise as I'm no expert. Luckily I got it right in the beginning and then had levels 4 and 5 to stay in and isolate. I don't go to the shop unless absolutely necessary and have had friends shop for me. I maintain social distancing if I absolutely have to go out in public and wear a mask. I have had contact with some friends who if I was infectious, they would have shown symptoms by now from what I understand.

Seeing what it has done to at-risk communities in the rest of the world, especially Italy and the USA, I would say it is very prudent to not expose those that fall into the at-risk category to potential infections. I do think the responsibility for that falls on everyone, the at-risk group and people like me or others who are healthy and who will shake of covid like I did.

Someone very close to me lives with an elderly person who has many comorbidities. She gets other family members to shop for them and if she does go out, as soon as she gets home her clothes go into the washing machine and she jumps in the shower. Anything coming into the home gets wiped down with bleach. It might sound excessive but it's become a habit and is relfex behaviour now, not even thought about.