Skoorsteen Kop, New path

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
NatureBoi

Skoorsteen Kop, New path

Post by NatureBoi »

In light of the mugging in the past, I'd like to investigate a new path coming in from the NE side.

You can park in Blue Valley Ave, which is a higher starting elevation. Negate the current opening and closing of gates and start on a more defined path, then traverse in. (see attachment)
You will also be out of sight of Imizamo Yethu, which I am hoping will discourage the incentive for muggings.

Any opinions?

Cheers,
Cormac
Attachments
New path.png
New path.png (617.72 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Brussel

Re: Skoorsteen Kop, New path

Post by Brussel »

looks good. I'd be keen to climb there again if I knew it was a little safer
robertbreyer

Post by robertbreyer »

Skoorsteenskop has gotten a bad reputation in terms of safety. There was one mugging a few years back, the culprit was caught, convicted, went to jail. Now everyone avoids it like the plague.... A new path may help but how do we fix the reputation?
NatureBoi

Post by NatureBoi »

robertbreyer wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am Skoorsteenskop has gotten a bad reputation in terms of safety. There was one mugging a few years back, the culprit was caught, convicted, went to jail. Now everyone avoids it like the plague.... A new path may help but how do we fix the reputation?
I'll be completing the rebolting there and bolting a few new lines, that should help.
NatureBoi

Post by NatureBoi »

NatureBoi wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:32 am In light of the mugging in the past, I'd like to investigate a new path coming in from the NE side.

You can park in Blue Valley Ave, which is a higher starting elevation. Negate the current opening and closing of gates and start on a more defined path, then traverse in. (see attachment)
You will also be out of sight of Imizamo Yethu, which I am hoping will discourage the incentive for muggings.

Any opinions?

Cheers,
Cormac
Ok, that was a bad idea!
XMod

Post by XMod »

Haha - just a BIT bushy hey! There is a path going up from the settlement all the way to the top where the guys sleep in caves up there (fireplaces), Anyone at Skoorsteenkop would be in full view from up there no matter where you approach from. Hout Bay is unfortunately just problematic, period. I looked after a house there recently, they came onto the property three times in one week (not the most peaceful nights!) then the day after I left they got into the next door property and terrorised the woman living there robbing her. It's a bummer but the reputation is well deserved. If you climb there take all of your stuff up onto one of the ledges where no-one can get at it.
Garron

Post by Garron »

Your way is going to require a lot of plant clearing. You could start at the current gate and then walk along the road along the road for a bit and then go straight up the mountain. This option would be easier and goes up behind the ridge so you would be out of sight except for a short section along the road. This is quite a quite a nice way up.
path2.png
path2.png (818.71 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Garron

Post by Garron »

XMod wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 am Haha - just a BIT bushy hey! There is a path going up from the settlement all the way to the top where the guys sleep in caves up there (fireplaces), Anyone at Skoorsteenkop would be in full view from up there no matter where you approach from. Hout Bay is unfortunately just problematic, period. I looked after a house there recently, they came onto the property three times in one week (not the most peaceful nights!) then the day after I left they got into the next door property and terrorised the woman living there robbing her. It's a bummer but the reputation is well deserved. If you climb there take all of your stuff up onto one of the ledges where no-one can get at it.
I agree, rather go somewhere safer.
stingrei

Post by stingrei »

Since the mugger was arrested we have been climbing many times here with never seeing anything except for other climbers
Thermophage

Post by Thermophage »

Garron wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 pm Your way is going to require a lot of plant clearing. You could start at the current gate and then walk along the road along the road for a bit and then go straight up the mountain. This option would be easier and goes up behind the ridge so you would be out of sight except for a short section along the road. This is quite a quite a nice way up.

path2.png
All Cormac heard was "a lot of plant clearing" and proceeded to get a hardon...
Last edited by Thermophage on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NatureBoi

Post by NatureBoi »

:D