Old School climbers

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
gator
Old School climbers

Post by gator »

Does anyone know what happened too these guys, do they still climb or are all off them retired? i am talking about the guys that opened most off the problems at boven, chosspile etc. guys like Richard Lord, Gary Lotter, Mike Behr, Clive Curson, Mike Cartwright, Peter Lazarus and Ralph Brucher etc.
Guy

Post by Guy »

The Lord lives in Cape Town and doesn't climb.
Lobster (Peter Lazarus) is still in Jozi and climbs a bit.
Clive lives in Perth
Rat (Mike Cartwright) lives in Seattle (he spend 2 months in Boven recently)
Mike Behr is still in Jozi as far as I know
No idea about Ralph or Gary
There's no point being pessimistic, because it probably won't work
Gustav

Who IS old school

Post by Gustav »

First define old school climbers, someone that:

a) started climbing before you did
b) started climbing on trad
c) started climbing in the \"old South Africa\"
d) started climbing with EB's and raved when Boreal Fire's hit the shelves
e) started climbing before the Gri-gri was invented

Anyway, Ralf Brucher started in 1994. I took him to the Island crag here in 'Boven and he flashed Rain Man (run out 22!) on his first weekend on rock. As you know he just went waltzing up in the grades after that.

Like many of us, his family commitments have brought down his grades a couple of notches. He now co-owns Scavenger Manufacturing http://www.scavman.com

Mike Behr owns a company that manufactures climbing walls, great holds and other rock/water features called http://www.wildexposure.co.za

His climbing took a blow about 6 years ago when he had a bad car accident and is now proud owner of a titanium hip.

He also owns Tranquilitas Adventure Farm and allows climbers to climb on [his] amazing cliffs for free - keep respecting these crags.
Gustav
Roc 'n Rope Adventures
Waterval Boven
+27 13 120 4600
climb @t rocrope dot com
gator
Post by gator »

sorry, old school as in the pioneers of climbing, the first guys that pushed it too the climbing we know today.

if i look at the route guides i will say guys that climbed in the 90's or so.
JonoJ

Post by JonoJ »

I heard they all started a lawn bowls league :D
JonoJ

Post by JonoJ »

....but I'm sure it'll be a while still before Tony Dick graces their greens.... or greases their grans.
Hector
Post by Hector »

Think you've left off a few names. At least in the former Transvaal the following had a huge impact on raising the grades and trying outrageous lines in the 80's: Kevin Smith, George Mallory, Charles Edlestein, Stewart Middlemiss, Clive Curson (including of course Mike Rat).
Then, in the generation before the following guys opened up the main climbing venues and pioneered the classic lines that made future hard ascents possible: Paul Fatti, Art MacGar, Ekhard Druscke, the Barley brothers etc etc.
These guys opened up most of the trad venues in the North of the country and did some amazing ascents that get very few repeats. 70% of the moderate to hard routes up here will have at least one of these names on the FA.
We have a rich climbing history in SA and, at least in the 80's, there was a huge, positive, competitive spirit with guys really pushing to do the hardest/baddest/fastest/coolest line. Hopefully events like the Rock and Road will bring this spirit back and push SA climbing out of the doldrums