The climbing in Stellenbosch consists of trad, bouldering and (finally) sport climbing. The first line was reputedly opened in 1921.
There are three main areas to climb in the Stellenbosch area, namely:
- Jonkershoek (Trad and bouldering)
- Helderberg (Bouldering only)
- Stellenboschberg (Sport and bouldering)
Below is a list of resources available for climbing in Stellenbosch and the surrounding areas.
- Trad - please see this link for route guides, or check the Jonkershoek page.
- Bouldering - Stellenbosch bouldering route guide and Helderberg bouldering route guide.
- Sport climbing - Open again, but access is very sensitive: Winelands crag
- Bouldering gym at Maties Climbing and BTK, see the website of Maties Climbing www.matiesclimbing.co.za. Students and non-students are welcome to join. MCSA members get 10% off on membership.
- New boulder guide for Stellenbosch bouldering and Helderberg bouldering (both updated 2021/01/19)
- New sport routes at the Winelands crag (updated 2021/01/14)
- New trad lines at Botmaskop (Botmaskop route guide updated 2020/06/26)